Flathead Catfish Questions

jakessvx1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Midlothian VA
I took my 5 year old daughter to a nearby river recently to swim and go fishing. I brought a net along just in case I came across any small catfish, which I am still collecting (trying to get one of each of the Catfish from VA, except madtoms, as babies to raise in my koi Ponds). Sure enough the second rock I picked up had a baby flathead under it. I was shocked to find one so quickly. I have tried to find them a number of times with no luck so I was pretty excited. I ended up finding and catching one more and they are exactly the sizes I want, 2-2.5 inches. I also found 3 channel cats about the same size and was able to catch one. Needless to say we never got around to rod and reel fishing. When we weren't swimming we were looking under rocks for catfish. I brought the catfish home and they ate pieces of earthworm a couple hours after I put them in the tank. I have them in a 40 breeder for now till they get a little size. Then I will move them to the koi pond. I was wondering what the best way to quarantine them would be? And I was also wondering if anyone has had any luck getting flatheads to eat prepared food? If so what was your strategy? I'm willing to feed them live, but it would be nice if they would eat prepared stuff or even fish from the grocery store. Any advice along these lines or others would be appreciated.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
My biggest concerns is housing flatheads with koi carps and other catfish. They are highly cannibalistic and territorial.

MDFishTanks

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2013
MD
I took my 5 year old daughter to a nearby river recently to swim and go fishing. I brought a net along just in case I came across any small catfish, which I am still collecting (trying to get one of each of the Catfish from VA, except madtoms, as babies to raise in my koi Ponds). Sure enough the second rock I picked up had a baby flathead under it. I was shocked to find one so quickly. I have tried to find them a number of times with no luck so I was pretty excited. I ended up finding and catching one more and they are exactly the sizes I want, 2-2.5 inches. I also found 3 channel cats about the same size and was able to catch one. Needless to say we never got around to rod and reel fishing. When we weren't swimming we were looking under rocks for catfish. I brought the catfish home and they ate pieces of earthworm a couple hours after I put them in the tank. I have them in a 40 breeder for now till they get a little size. Then I will move them to the koi pond. I was wondering what the best way to quarantine them would be? And I was also wondering if anyone has had any luck getting flatheads to eat prepared food? If so what was your strategy? I'm willing to feed them live, but it would be nice if they would eat prepared stuff or even fish from the grocery store. Any advice along these lines or others would be appreciated.

I have several bullheads and channel cats and the way I was able to get them to eat pellets was to only feed pellets. Either they would eat them, or didnt eat and eventually they got the idea that pellets were food and they eat it non-stop, along with bread, blueberries, and everything else I give my koi. I am pretty sure flatheads are not that different.

I took this video yesterday.

[video=youtube;I6BtStK-1bM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6BtStK-1bM[/video]

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I agree with MN, adult flatheads are going to eat your Koi and any other fish they can fit in their mouth.

jakessvx1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Midlothian VA
I understand the concerns about them eating the other fish. The Pond will ultimately be in two sections and the larger section will be about 2500 gallons. I will keep the appropriate sizes together. Do you think that I will have trouble with territorial aggression if I have 4 large catfish in 2500 gallons? Also, It is my understanding that flatheads are strictly ambush predators, unlike channel cats and bullheads that scavenge a good deal. Given that I assume that the flathead will be a bit harder to get on prepared foods than a channel. I have put frozen brine shrimp in the tank and the channel digs right in, but the flatheads wont touch it. If it doesn't move they don't pay it any mind. Any advice on how to quarantine? Do I need to add any medication to the water or anything like that? Is the purpose of quarantining to wait and see if the fish has any parasites or diseases or to assume they have something and treat prophylactically?

jakessvx1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Midlothian VA
Correction: the larger pond is going to be closer to 5500 gallons. I was hoping to put a blue cat, flat head, and a couple channel in there with some large koi (maybe 4) that are too big to be eaten and maybe a long nose gar. Would that be overstocked? Would there be enough space to keep territorial aggression in check?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I would prefer house flatheads solely but its just me. Flatheads have been eating their tank mates at Cabelas and Pro Bass aquariums.

Flatheads are completely different fish from channels and bullheads. They don't scavenge and they eats only live foods. Strictly carnivorous fish.

SePPii

Dovii
MFK Member
May 21, 2011
Chesapeake, OH
I have a single flathead in my 450 right now and I'll prob remove it within a few months. Only going to keep bullheads and channels

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store