Best pump for canister filter

Dam ok

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2014
Denver
Hello I am in the planing stages of building my own canister filter for my 125 gallon cichlid tank. I want to know what types of pumps are good to use for DIY canister filters and what gph I should be looking at. My tank is not drilled so I would have to go over the top. Of the tank and the filter would be in the stand under. I keep South American cichlids so I want to make sure I have enough filtration. Any input would be great also trying to stay under 100$ for the pump but open to higher prices for good reasoning. Thanks for the help and your time.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I came really close to making a diy canister. I am an avid diy junkie no matter the project. I had everything laid out and called it off once I priced out my parts list in its entirety, ended up buying a new tank with an overflow and doing a sump. I was using 6" pvc. I got the pipe for the body at a good price but found threaded cleanouts and endcaps were around $30 each. That plus bulkheads, unions, ball valves. .. it would cost more than an fx5 or 2260. You however may have better luck.

I got a marineland nj1800 pump rated at 475gph. Your going to want something with secure threaded pipe fittings on the inlet and outlet, even if you decide to run it inside the canister as opposed to inline on the return outside.

In theory the velocity of the incoming water should negate the effects of head pressure loss. Any pump you get should be running around its max flowrate or close to it with an empty clean canister.

You however may want to keep flowrates on the low side to help with contact time with the media.

Id recommend having the siphon upsized larger than the return. I was going to do 3/4" and 1"

After alot of research I decided the best design was a long vertical canister with the siphon entering the bottom and being pumped from the top, much like the design of eheim classic canisters.

Hope this helps. Hey atleast I didnt jut try to persuade you not to do it right?

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dam ok

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2014
Denver
Thanks so much for the information it is really helpful. I am using a 6.5 gallon food grade canister with a screw off lid that has a rubber seal. And I already have the PVC I need for it so the main thing I'll have to get is the pump. Everywhere I look a pre-built canister for a 125 is like 400-500$ and I just can't get the wife to go along with that. I just need to find a decent pump that would work for my take any recommend gph?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Honestly I have no idea when it comes to diy canisters but as far as gph is concerned I would shoot for 6x turn over or greater. With your setup being a 125 that'll put you at 750gph pump. Thats without head loss from your plumbing etc; so to answer your question, if I was building it for myself I'd probably use a 900gph pump.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
If done right the canister will be under negative pressure. Be sure the container is strong enough that it will not implode.

If I were using a bucket I would buy a second one, cut off the bottom and epoxy it over the filter to make sure it's strong enough. If it fails it will siphon your whole tank

Also buy an extra ball valve and small bulkhead to add a purge on the top of the canister. Itll make it easy to bleed any air out that accumulates on the top.

If your not concerned with power consumption look at danner mag drive pumps. They are incredibly robust and affordable. Not sure how a centrifugal punp will handle any sort of negative head pressure on the input - maybe someone can chime in on that one

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Sorry to double post

You may also want to consider just going with some hang on back power filters.

An ac110 is an excellent choice. Hell, you could buy 3 whisper 60's with bio sponges for under 100 bucks if money is an issue.

I went full blast with canisters because they are cool, they are better than hang on back filters and they arent as ugly. In the end I'm going back to HOB power filters on tanks that I dont have drilled.

A canister filters better, but if your like me you dont have the patience to clean it as often as one should and that negates its benefits over simple filters. I've got 2 aqueon quietflow 75's on my oscar tank along with sponge filters. Its so easy to change and maintain... better than my 406 would if I neglected for months.

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
Mudbuttjones had a good suggestion with the AC110's imo. You could get 2 for under $200 and that would handle that 125 as long as you dont overstock it. I ran 2 AC110's on my 120 for a couple years and it worked very well. Later on I added a canister. The AC110 is a rock solid filter. I've had both of mine for around 8-10 years with zero issues.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store