What size is a MONSTER

fiveoffive

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2012
Australia
If you wanted to call your self a Monster fish keeper what size would your fish have to be ?
( Not like I have a Large Beta lol )

For example: I have Kigoma's at 30cm +(12inch+ )
Gold Spot Pleco pushing 36cm (14inch )
And a 11'' 28cm flower horn .

Would you class any of them as a Monster Fish ?

OR is it only 40cm+ 16" Or Larger

PS
My Kigoma's

Kigomas.jpg

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
I think it's really subjective. What a fun discussion to have, I'm sure lots of great opinions will come up.

Personally I think any fish that gets too big to fit in a standard size aquarium net borders monster status. It really depends though. I know I've personally been laughed at in an aquarium society for talking about my senegal bichirs as if they were big, as the people there had ornates, sand tiger catfish and redtail catfish. Those are kind of in a different league, hah! I kinda think they might have been compensating for something. I dunno, I just don't get the draw necessarily of seeking out a fish that will potentially hit 6 feet just for the sake of having a giant fish. It just so happens that many of the species I find interesting or aesthetically pleasing happen to get more than 6 inches though.

Really, for me, anything over about 5-6 inches is bordering on monster, depending on how powerful it is. Moving my dads goldfish indoors every winter (it gets -40 here every winter) isn't a huge deal, so they aren't monsters despite being about 9 inches. My Geophagus at 8 inches, however, is significantly more powerful. So are my bichirs at 7 inches. I don't know if a fish has to have a size restriction to get into the club necessarily, but it sure as hell doesn't hurt! I don't think anyone would argue that a 3 foot long fish is anything but a "monster" in this case but I would suggest a fish of even 6 inches could be deemed a monster if it's hard to manage, move or house.

An example: I don't think Koi really count as "monsters" even when they are big. I do think Exodon paradoxus counts as monsters, even though they are comparatively small (4 inches or something like that)

Tsn

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
Houston TX
I'd say it just depends on the type of fish. If you have a 12" Oscar I'd call him a monster. But if you had a 12" tiger shovel nose I'd call him a baby.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fiveoffive

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2012
Australia
Great Points Ponera !
TsN : I know what your saying. Tho the question is not that is the fish a monster but what size would you say fish (over all ) is a monster fish to keep. like size not breed.

Acpape0

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2014
Elkridge maryland
I personally hate the phrase "monster fish" it has become way to much of a cliche..... If you had some reef sharks in a 3000+ gallon tank, maybe, but even they are not really monsters. Now monster fry keepers is a whole other subject
Monster fry example:

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1406888814.505795.jpg

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Cute kids and yes they can be monsters too! I always thought of "Monster fish keeper" as more of an aditude rather than refering to the size of the fish.

D.Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
Imho - monster fish keepers.. people with extra huge aquariums, people who own ancient fishes that looks more monster then fish, people who own very aggressive fishes, people who own fishes with set of sharp teeth which are often on display :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
To me 'monster' is about attitude, not size. I have a 4" hairy puffer that when you see him eat you would have to classify as 'monster'.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store