Looking for FW puffer info

upstater13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I am new to the site and am looking for some puffer information. I apologize now if there are any other threads relating to this as I am just beginning my search through old posts after being referred here by a friend.

I am trying to find a medium sized FW puffer. It's home will be something around a 40 breeder or 55g size (ish) tank. I love the fahakas (friend has one) but they are obviously way to large. I like the idea of a single larger fish as opposed to a handful of dwarf puffs or South American puffs. I don't really want something that buries itself in the sand either. This would be a showcase piece. A pet for the family to interact with more than our small community tank.

Everything I come across online contradicts something else I read online (hence my problem and reason for posting here). Any ideas?

Thanks very much for any help you can provide.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Hey upstater I am from upstate as well, Glens Falls Area. Unfortunately what you are looking for doesn't exist. I have been keeping puffers along time but wanted to get away from brackish and salt and just keep fresh water so I had to move away from puffers. All fresh water puffers are either to big for your tank or fall into the dwarf category or the puffers that lay at the bottom all the time looking like rocks.

The red eye puffer is largest FW puffer you could go with for your tank siza but they are pretty inactive and I wouldn't call them show piece fish. Greens spotted puffer and F8 do ok for a while in FW but need to be in brackish with in a year of keeping or they will die. People often convert them to full marine but that isn't required. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear but I hope it was some help.

The fish I am currently keeping and I find have the most personality like my Green spotted puffer are my Honduran Red Points (related to convicts) they have a very puppy dog like personality to them and would do well in your size tank. They wag there bodies and beg for food just like puffers. Always greet me at the tank when I come in. CA/SA Cichlids are the closest thing to puffers both in personality and aggression. Out of all the CA/SA cichlids I have kept the HRP's and Firemouths have become my absolute favorite.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I actually did have one come to mind. I didn't think of it right away cause it doesn't really have the puffer blimp shape it is more flat. Its called a modestus puffer. Very hard to find. They are also called avacado, bronze or golden puffers. Very Very mean. I got one once and it slaughtered my whole tank of african cichlids in one night. This was before I knew puffs and cichlids don't mix.

They are nice looking but don't really have the puffer personality so many people like. They are very active though they are constantly cruising the tank looking for food. They will tear at a prawn like a pirahana. You will have to physically trim there teeth though.

upstater13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Thanks Rivers. I was kinda figuring that it was going to be nearly impossible to find what we wanted. What about the ocellated puffer?

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
They are pretty inactive laying at the bottom most of the day. they are ambush predators so they lay there waiting for food to float by.

upstater13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The other option my buddy gave me was the target/twin-spot puffer. Man I just don't have the room for a 150g for the fahaka like we would love.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
The other option my buddy gave me was the target/twin-spot puffer. Man I just don't have the room for a 150g for the fahaka like we would love.
The ocelated is a type of target puffer. Target puffers are common name for several puffers that have the eye spot on the back half of the body. They are all pretty sedentary. I think the closest thing to what you are looking at would be the modestus puffer.

upstater13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Hmmm. See, I am learning something new about them every single day. Modestus doesn't even look like a "real" puffer to me.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Are you against brackish setup? I loved my old gsp and hope to be able to keep one again someday. Great personality and very active and good looking puffer. Noticed mine became more active and better looking as the salinity rose

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store