What To Do With a 37 Gallon

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Last time I asked for your guys opinions in what to do with my 20 tall and I got a lot of god responses from it (going to breed Ancistrus in it) so I'm going to out this to a vote. I've got a 37 gallon (30"L x 12"W x 24"H) in my basement I got off a friend and have a few ideas what to do with it so what sounds the best to you?

Option 1) Breeding Pair of CA cichlids. Something like Red Ceibals or Siquias or the like. Simplistic look with only decorations being a sponge filter, a pot, and maybe a pvc section or two for the female to hide if needed. Substrate would be bare or sand.

Option 2) Rift Lake Community. Mbunas of different species and depending on whether I want to breed them or not maybe some small Synodontis. Rock piles for them to hide in and sand for substrate.

Option 3) Synodontis Breeding Tank. Breeding group of either S. petricola or S. multipunctatus and a few small mouth brooding african cichlids as hosts for the eggs. Pots and rocks for decor. Sand substrate.

Option 4) Pleco Breeding Tank. Breeding group of some kind if breedable pleco other than Ancistrus, probably either a Hypancistrus or Peckoltia species. Some driftwood and pots for them to breed and hide in. Sand or loose gravel substrate.

Option 5) Planted Native Community. A school or two of smaller native chubs or medium sized native shiners or dace, a pair or trio of Orangespotted Sunfish, some swamp type darters such as mud or johhnies. That stock or a single Pumpkinseed (as a growout, it'd go in my 75 once it got to about 5-6") plus the darters. Plants would be native tall plants of different kinds that would almost fill the entire tank other than an open spot or two. Substrate would be dirt.

So what sounds the best?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Stuff really gets moved down the list fast in the General Aquaria forum!

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Just thought of another good one.

Option 6) Livebearer Breeding Community. Either Guppies, Platys, Mollies, Swordtails, Killies, Goodeieds, Halfbeaks, or (my preferable choice) a mix of several different ones. Either tropical ones from Central America and northern South America from places such as Honduras and northern Brazil or cool/temperate water ones from North America and central-south South America from place such as the US and Uruguay.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
I'm doing a tank with Sakura Shrimp, panda loaches, and possibly Galaxy Rasboras, thats something to look into.
I'm also a big fan of native, something i unfortunately cant do, because in the sommers my tanks get quite warm, and Denmark natives, mostly enjoy coldwater.

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
i really like the native planted route, thats what i would do, its fun to just explore and get out their and catch your own fish and watching a wild fish thrive in your own tank is very rewarding.

it would also be fun to open up a thread documenting the whole experience from finding the fish to raising it. One thing that is very important is to make sure you have a positive id on the fish before bringing it home if you choose to collect yourself. if you want to buy some natives online i would recommend http://www.zimmermansfish.com/

i would rather smaller natives that would be fine for life in a tank like that instead of a grow out.

whatever you choose i hope you have fun with it!

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Thinking I'll either do the native planted or livebearers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store