Best canister filters?

TexOscar1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2014
Texas
Currently shopping for a new canister filter, I currently have 2 fluval 306 and 1 fluval 406 as far as canisters go. I have liked the fluvals, both the HOB and Canisters but thought I would try a different setup. I have heard a lot of people running the Eheim canisters but don't know much about it. The next filters will be on a 75 gallon grow put tank for some Oscars ad then be moved to a 300 gallon Oscar tank in the future and the other ones will be on a 75 gallon JD tank. So any ideas on setups or something to try would be appreciated! Hopefully this will help others in the same boat. Thanks in advance, I did seach but didn't see anything or don't get the search function.

TexOscar1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2014
Texas
Never heard of them, but I will include them in my search.
How long have you had yours and does it have different compartments for different filter media?

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
For tanks under 100g I recommend the API Filstar line(formerly Rena) I have 6. Quiet, efficient and very reliable. My oldest is about 8yrs and runs as well as it did on day 1. For a future 300g you will need a minimum of 2 FX6's. I have several FX5's, oldest being around 5yrs, no issues with any. Eheim, while being a quality unit, are over priced imo. Dont scrimp, buy the best according to your needs. No offense to the previous poster, but with SunSun, you get what you pay for, a 2yr throw away.. in most instances.

Acpape0

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2014
Elkridge maryland
For tanks under 100g I recommend the API Filstar line(formerly Rena) I have 6. Quiet, efficient and very reliable. My oldest is about 8yrs and runs as well as it did on day 1. For a future 300g you will need a minimum of 2 FX6's. I have several FX5's, oldest being around 5yrs, no issues with any. Eheim, while being a quality unit, are over priced imo. Dont scrimp, buy the best according to your needs. No offense to the previous poster, but with SunSun, you get what you pay for, a 2yr throw away.. in most instances.
I own fluval and eheim also.....
I am guessing that making a statement like this you have some kind of first hand experience?
I was not impressed with the fx5 at all, ended up trading it.
OP have you considered a sump?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Ive been very pleased with my eheim classics and wouldnt ever spend money on another brand canister. Silent, strong, super reliable, come with media and "double tap" valves make removal so easy. At about 125 for the 2217 I dont think they are overpriced at all. 2 of them would get you over 500 gph ACTUAL flow with media. If you intend on upgrading id recommend the 2262 while it isnt cheap, it is a BEAST of a canister and would do well on a 300g but would be serious overkill on a 90g

Inside my stand will always look like this. Eheim canisters and hydor inline heaters doubled up for safety

20140801_125718.jpg

20140801_125718.jpg

TexOscar1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2014
Texas
I have condisered doing a sump on the 300g but still would like filters for the two 75g tanks.
While I have a sump on my saltwater tank, it works very well and may consider doing it on the 300g which will be around the end of the year or early next year. I would still like the option though with other filters for the 75gallon tanks. I will have 2-3 filters on the 75 gallon tanks since the bioload will be pretty high with the type of fish going in them. So just looking at options right now.

TexOscar1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2014
Texas
Ive been very pleased with my eheim classics and wouldnt ever spend money on another brand canister. Silent, strong, super reliable, come with media and "double tap" valves make removal so easy. At about 125 for the 2217 I dont think they are overpriced at all. 2 of them would get you over 500 gph ACTUAL flow with media. If you intend on upgrading id recommend the 2262 while it isnt cheap, it is a BEAST of a canister and would do well on a 300g but would be serious overkill on a 90g

Inside my stand will always look like this. Eheim canisters and hydor inline heaters doubled up for safety

View attachment 1028870
i'm not opposed to overkill ! Lol

TexOscar1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2014
Texas
I do normally run several in tank heaters just as backups, never thought about the inline ones though. May try that out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store