Frontosa male or female?

Bigcatfishrule

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Male you can tell by the long pointy anal and dorsal fins, and the hump on the head, you dont usually have to vent cichlids because of this. Just be aware that in a healthy environment that frontosa will potentially reach 40cm

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Male you can tell by the long pointy anal and dorsal fins, and the hump on the head, you dont usually have to vent cichlids because of this. Just be aware that in a healthy environment that frontosa will potentially reach 40cm
I am fully aware of the full size, and have had a couple of really large males. Do you keep Frontosa? My Females have just as long anal and dorsal fins, and female Frontosa Burundies develop humps too.

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
Can you post another photo ---- have difficulty seeing it clearly. But from what I am seeing, the private part is not rounded. Likewise. It has more of a triangular shape and kinda small. Based on this, your Frontosa is a male.

Pointed dorsal fin and length are not accurate way of sexing them. I have 2 colonies of adult males, I can't distinguish females from the beta male based in length of fins. All of the Frontosas have pointed dorsal fins.

The he alpha male has really long trailers, but not true with the beta male.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Can you post another photo ---- have difficulty seeing it clearly. But from what I am seeing, the private part is not rounded. Likewise. It has more of a triangular shape and kinda small. Based on this, your Frontosa is a male.

Pointed dorsal fin and length are not accurate way of sexing them. I have 2 colonies of adult males, I can't distinguish females from the beta male based in length of fins. All of the Frontosas have pointed dorsal fins.

The he alpha male has really long trailers, but not true with the beta male.
Another picture of it vented, or just in the tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store