How do you guys feel about Tiger Rays?

KeefO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2014
Royersford, pa
Ok, so my wholesaler has a few Tiger rays in stock, a large female that looks great, and 6 smaller ones that are between 5-7". I guess what I am hoping you guys can tell me is how hardy they are and how well anyone has done adding one of these to a tank with other rays? Any info would be awesome, and if anyone has pics of their Tigers, I would love to see them. The other thing is that they are going for $400, I am assuming that is a good price, let me know if it's a little high, thanks!

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
Great price, however Tigers are delicate and do not work well in community ray set ups. They do best in species only and they get larger than most rays with females getting around 36" disc.
There are few people that are successful at keeping them long term. Tigers and Flowers are similar in this respect.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
The smaller ones are new born pups due to the adult breeding size

If the larger one is feeding well and on dead foods it maybe worth a shot
Just take into account the adult size of a female

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

bonesb66

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2010
Birmingham
I'd be reluctant to mix with other rays - i found they do better with their own species only, the likes of leo, henlei, pearl etc etc are significantly heavier built and will bully and dominate food supply.

MEDHBSI

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2011
Coquitlam BC
as stated above. They get large/ are delicate but thats a great price id probably go for it haha there beautiful

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I'm not sure if $400 is such a great price

I know a few people who got them last year 10 rays in total all died

And if you look around the net on forums not many people are keeping them so you may just be throwing $400 down the pan

KeefO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2014
Royersford, pa
I'm not sure if $400 is such a great price

I know a few people who got them last year 10 rays in total all died

And if you look around the net on forums not many people are keeping them so you may just be throwing $400 down the pan

thats my dilemma, I love the pattern of a mature tiger, they are beautiful! But like you said, who wants to throw $400 at a ray that has a better chance of not surviving, than living to maturity. I am not concerned about size, but the hardiness is a big concern. My male Marble is a aggressive eater, and if the Tigers are easily pushed around in a community tank, then it doesn't sound good. The other issue I have, is that someone is gonna get them, so it comes down to whether it is going to gets chance with me or someone who thinks it will be a neat addition to their 40 gallon breeder set up.

swedeboy78

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2011
My crib
No Tiger here but I have a Flower who are similar as we know. Got her at 5" 18 mths ago as a new import and highly stressed. I had her separated for a couple of months then put her in with my motoros and Leo's. She's now 14", eats like a pig and hope she'll continue to do well. Gorgeous rays.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store