Malaysian and Mopani driftwood

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Just picked up 2 medium peices of mopani and one large peice of malaysian drift woods and have them soaking in Rubbermaid bins how long do they need to saok to release most of the tannins

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Boiling helps a lot, otherwise I'd say a week to be safe. Mopani might take longer. I am currently dealing with the joys of tannins and I won't soak for less than a week ever again.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
No chance I could boil them all are way too big.... I am soaking them seperaltly nut dont have an available bin for one of the mopani's. .. would soaking the mopani with the malaysian in the same been somehow stain the lighter wood of the mopani?

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I don't think the tannins will soak into another piece of wood. The process comes from soaking the water into the cells of the wood, which forces that air and tannins out. In your position I would just soak for a week, change the water your soaking in every day or other day depending on how fast the water color changes. Wood can take a very long time to stop leaching, and it really depends on the condition the wood was kept in prior to reaching you.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2010
Colorado, USA
Anyone have a good source for larger pieces that don't cost a fortune? I live in Colorado so you'd think there would be a place locally where I could go farm my own but I can't seem to figure out where would be a good place to look.

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
I just accept the tannin release and know with weekly water changes it will subside ... Nothing beats the look of a black water tank IMO

Why worry about it ? Just put close to 100 lbs of dw in my 220 .. Loving the look

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Yeah maybe your right I just didnt want cloudy water but atleast it will subside they are all soaking in huge bins that I kept my kids toys in....wife's not happy about the toys being everywhere

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
Yeah maybe your right I just didnt want cloudy water but atleast it will subside they are all soaking in huge bins that I kept my kids toys in....wife's not happy about the toys being everywhere

Let's see pics when dw is in tank . GL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store