Algae bloom SE Michigan and NW ohio

jag123

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 16, 2008
Ohio
People living in this region are probably already aware of the situation here with the algae bloom and hazards of drinking water.

I did a water. Last night and all fish seem fine, but what to do about the future. It is not known at this time how long the hazard will last. Using bottled water from the store is not practical with large tanks. Has anyone been through this before?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
only way to avoid it is not change the water unless you can haul it in from somewhere.
it may take a while for the effects to show. I know there are growth issues with fry, I haven't seen much on the effects in adult fish with the exception of accumulation in the tissues.

the toxin is microcystin if you don't already know and want to research it.

jag123

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 16, 2008
Ohio
Thanks for replying. This issue in my area is becoming a major issue. The toxin is a byproduct of Cyanobacteria which have explosively reproduced on the western basin of Lake Erie.

Basically I am being conservative in feeding my stock at this point to reduce waste in my systems. If needs be I plan on topping off with bottled water but will not be doing any large water changes.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store