Pet Shanty in NJ closed permamently

RangerBlue381

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
New Jersey
I don't know if anyone else shopped here but I went today and had a sign saying they were permanently closed. I was there 2 days ago and there was no mention. All of the fish and tanks are still there. It may have not been the best place for monster fish but they were always friendly and kind and were more than happy to take their time to talk with anyone. I'm going to miss the place, I hope that everything is ok for the family that owned it, and wanted to let anyone who may go there to know

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

I31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2007
omni
And when they had oddballs, they were reasonably priced.too bad they didnt have going out business sale

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I stopped by there a few times after my Sharkaquarium visits and the staff was always friendly and helpful.I loved the soda machine style bait worm dispenser out front lol.

IRONWOOD

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2010
usa
It just shows you the sad state of, #1 pet trade, #2 brick & mortar stores. They had to be in business maybe 20 years?

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Think they celebrated their 20 or 25th anniversary last year. Real shame

RangerBlue381

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
New Jersey
It was 25 years of steve the leather coral. They were closer to 30 years. I remember going there as a teenager and just being amazed at the variety you didn't see at a petco/petsmart. Its like losing a friend in the fish hobby. I'm just wishing the best for charlie and his family, and it they start up a new place I would be there in an instant

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
This is very dissapointing news I've been going there for years. They will be missed.

I31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2007
omni
Unfortunately, since alot of hobbyist buy their fish "online" as well as equipment/supplies/food instead of supporting the local store, just can't expect them to stay in business.

RangerBlue381

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
New Jersey
It turns out that they filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy which means there will probably be a liquidation sale. Problem is I stopped by to see if there was anymore information since they keep putting notes on the door, and you can clearly see all the animals and fish are still in there. Does anyone know if there is anything that can be done to make sure that people go in there to do something with the livestock?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store