Cannot figure out why this tank is cloudy

dbcb314

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Tallahassee
I have set up two tanks in the last week and a half.

The 90 gallon tank has an AC110 on it with pool filter sand substrate. teh AC110 even has 2 pouches if Purigen in it. It just has a white, cloudy haze to the tank. The only occupants are 6 serpae tetras, a 3in firemoutn, a 2 inch Krib, and two 2inch baby polys. The bioload is stupid small for the tank and I only feed once per day. THe only other things in the tank are a plastic floating plant for the baby polys to chill in and 3 pvc pipes.

I would think this is maybe just due to the tank being new and the sand settling still and what not. Or maybe even the water here just kinda sucks.

Except, I set up a 37 bowfront within the same week. Put sand in it at the same time. Occupants are 10 Tiger barbs. The tank has some ****ty acqueon filter that came with it when I bought it off craigslist. That tank is PERFECTLY clear. Crystal clear. It is what I want the big tank to look like.

Any idea what gives? Is the AC110 just not big enough to move enough water to get the tank clear? I have always been an Emperor man through the years but switched over because of all the thigns I have heard good about the AC. I have never had cloudy water issues until now.

The HOB is rated for up to 100 gallons and the stock is so light I figured I had plentyof time before I upped the filtration. But is it just not powerful enough to move enough water to get the water looking good?

Thanks...

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
I always over filter my tanks and never have issues with clear water. I dont think an ac110 is strong enough to keep a 90g tank clean despite what the manufacturer "rates" them at.

Example: eheim 2217 is rated up to 159g tank. I have 2 on a 57g tank but the water is always clear as can be

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
It could just be new tank syndrome. The bacteria have not yet settled on all the available surfaces. It happens some time. Give it some time and it will most likely clear up on its own.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
The 90 gallon is a newly setup tank. The sand isn't quite rinsed out enough so its clouding the water, the tank may not be fully cycled as the smaller tank will cycle faster. I feel ac110 is enough filtration for a 90 gallon tank. I had the same setup and my water was crystal clear. Just give it another week or two, do a few water changes and it will be clear

SePPii

Dovii
MFK Member
May 21, 2011
Chesapeake, OH

dbcb314

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Tallahassee
Okey doke. I never remember having this issue in the past which is why I was stumped.

Did a 60ish% water change yesterday which cleared it up a bit. The cloudiness never gets worse, just stayst he same/gets slightly better. So nothign seems to be leaching into the water.

Y'all are probably right. Need to learn this patience thing lol

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
If a filter is rated for example at a 100 gallon tank, I'd say it's adequate for a 50 gallon.

The fx6 on my 190 is rated for almost twice that, but to be honest that alone is not sufficient in my opinion on a 190 alone.
I have 2 2217 on top of that, and I'd love to add another, but lack of space prohibits me...

Point is go large when it comes to filtration.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Sounds like it's cycling a little. My advice every other day water changes for a little while to help get it going fully.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

SePPii

Dovii
MFK Member
May 21, 2011
Chesapeake, OH
Sounds like it's cycling a little. My advice every other day water changes for a little while to help get it going fully.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App
That's what I've been doing, about 40% every 2 days it's helping out a lot. Mine started so murky because I used lava rock In my sump and apparently all the dust didn't get out :/

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dbcb314

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Tallahassee
If a filter is rated for example at a 100 gallon tank, I'd say it's adequate for a 50 gallon.

The fx6 on my 190 is rated for almost twice that, but to be honest that alone is not sufficient in my opinion on a 190 alone.
I have 2 2217 on top of that, and I'd love to add another, but lack of space prohibits me...

Point is go large when it comes to filtration.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
That is the plan eventually. The one HOB was just to start while my stock was low and small.

The goal will eventually be 2 HOB and a cannister but no reason for that at the moment... spend that money elsewhere until it is needed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store