sump, overflow, and canister filter help,

Wenzo0o0o0oo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2010
usa
hey y'all,, do you guys think if i can use the intake of a canister filter as an ''overflow'' for a sump?.. being like ,, putting the output tube of an canister into a sump.. then getting another pump in the sump to bring the water back to the tank?/... this way i won't need to drill or anything,.. any idea guys.. :grinno::grinno:

rayguy84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
pennsylvania
Have match up the overflow with your return pump flow taking into account overhead height ect. If you do it right it will run right but using a canister intake its a guessing game of what you need for a return pump

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Its gonna be hard to reach equilibrium. Either tank is going to end up with more water over time. ..And end up on the floor.

I would just Get a reef ready tank with 2 bulkheads in the weir. Or just drill/have your tank drilled. Some guys are brave and can pull it off with the tank half full. With primary and emergency drain(s) your as close to fool proof as you can get.

Its easy to drill a tank. If I can do it, you can do it. One time I drilled a 5.5g with a 2.5g sump to put on my desk at work. no special tools, just a crappy hand drill, a garden hose, and a Chinese hole saw from amazon. And that's on ultra thin glass. On the heavier stuff 40g and up its alot easier and more forgiving

Overflow boxes are good too, but have disadvantages that a drilled bulkhead dont have.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store