Thinking of going Triggers - little advice needed

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
Can different species be successfully mixed and if so which species? also thoughts on mixing triggers with lionfish, angelfish, and cowfish?

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Triggers with Lionfishes NO, imho. They will harass the lions and bite their spines.

I do not know what a Cowfish is.

Triggers with triggers depends on a lot of factors. Space is foremost, imho, but species also.

Assuredly you can mix the Menthos Family ( but those, reef-safe triggers are not my idea of a trigger )

I have triggers together ( clown triggers with rhinecanthus ), ( clowns with nigers ), ( oceanic or grays with rhinecanthus )...
Have had no luck comming Queens and Fuscus

Have had no luck comming Undulatus....i hear that if you are lucky to get a formed couple it is a beautyfull display.

Anyway, Triggers is the way to go, in salt, if you like interaction and glassbanging fish that really know you.

( i say the same about Puffers, in any case )

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Like Miguel said, triggers and lionfish do not mix. They will constantly nip at the lions fins. You can put them with angels but when it comes to cowfish, sounds like it might be able to work but if the trigger stresses the cow enough, the cow will release a toxin that will kill everything in your tank. I dunno if you wanna chance that or not

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
I mixed pinktail, blue jaw, Picasso, clown, and Niger together. Once my pinktail got into a fight and lost the whole system failed. Everything killed everything. As long as they maintain the hierarchy everything was/should be fine. If that gets broken all hell can break loose.

I agree that triggers are the way to go. Great fish with great personality.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Pink tail is one of those reef safe triggers, Mentho something...it would, eventually lose...

I agree with the bad guy hierarchy working...given space, of course.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Just don't go with clown triggers. I forgot what exactly but when they hit a certain size they turn homicidal and start attacking everything and they usually succeed at killing them

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I find that clown's agressivity is somewhat overrated...

The Balisttes family as well as Undulatos ( Ballistapus ) is more complicated, imho..

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
I agree on the clowns aggression and the ungulated.

I wouldn't call my pinktail reef safe. It would never stop moving crap around the tank.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
First of thanks - as for space the tank is 210 gal former reef. It's been running for over 4 years closer to 5. I got in and out of reefing within 3 years - just not that fun. Current stock is a large Koran angel like 8" - 8" long horn cow that spits water all over the floors - 6" Yellow mimic tang and a dwarf pixie hawk - kinda real boring. The tank looks like a pile of purple and pink rocks - 200+ lbs stacked up like a staircase. The current in tank is set up for SPS it turns over like 40x an hour. As for gadgets - I've got all the bells and whistles for a full blown reef.

I guess first things first is restack the rocks for larger openings and sell off the current stock. I'm thinkin maybe loose some current by like 75% to 10x an hour. Do triggers jump? should I put on a glass lid?

Anyways . I don't like all triggers - the ones I'd want are the huma huma, niger, blue jaw and clown off the top of my head - got some research to do that's for sure. I did have a baby great barracuda for a month til the lil' reef fish killed it.

Any advice on tank set up would be appreciated as well - thanks again.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
What reef fish killed your barracuda?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store