Frontosa water flow

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
How much is too much I know they don't really like current I am using a spray bar at the top of the tank to keep the bottom stiller but how much should I start? I have a 900 gph pump running my 220 gallon tank one overflow

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
When I was keeping and breeding frontosa, I had current in my tank from a couple of AquaClear 110s. It never seemed to bother the fish.

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
How much is too much I know they don't really like current I am using a spray bar at the top of the tank to keep the bottom stiller but how much should I start? I have a 900 gph pump running my 220 gallon tank one overflow

900 gph for 220 gallons is fine. You have to account for loss of gph (head loss). The way I test it is observe the water flow when I feed with flakes. I adjust my pumps in my sump and/or play with the water direction if the flakes are being thrown all over the place. I set mine so the debris will get stirred up just enough...if this makes sense to you.

You can also observe the behavior of your Fronts. With what I have observed, the Fronts will act 'restless' if the water flow is a bit on the strong side. They are not fast swimmers...more like a lazy swimmer. If they display the behavior of 'lazy' swimming....the flow is correct.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
I went out and got some PVC my return line I'm putting a T in then running a line back to my sump so I can better control the flow too much to the tank I'll put more in the sump and visa versa but I think I need a second ball valve so after vacation I'm going to fill my 220 and start to cycle and mess with the flow I will put the guys in there in a month or so and start with low flow and move up

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
They don't mind some current ime, though it shouldn't be a whirlpool in there. In fact, I have an alpha male that spends half his time near a rock in front of a canister outlet. Contrary to popular assumptions, or what you see in some articles or hobbyist sources, the lake is not dead still at frontosa depth, but has a variety of upwellings, internal waves, turbulence, and currents, driven by complex wind patterns, internal convection, etc. So they're not going to want a whirlpool, but they're not the absolute still water fish some people make them out to be.

IMO, though, you do want some quiet areas in the tank, somewhat protected from water current, especially for spawning purposes.

Sample reference:
Lake Tang circulation (click the "more" link in the article for more text)

If you wanted to find your own references you can search on such terms as: Lake Tanganyika-- hydrodynamics or limnology or seiches or circulation, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store