poisonous gar eggs

monster fish crazy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2014
Tropical climate
we know gar's eggs are poisonous. what to do if the gar spawn in the community tank.

tank mates (e.g. rtc) is very likely to 'consume' the eggs without knowing those are poisonous.

Cheers.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Interesting, I never knew that. Obviously the poison would be created based on the foods the adults eat in the wild, is it no different for captive bred specimens that have a different diet I wonder.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
After a quick internet search, it appears that gar eggs are 'poisonous' to humans and chickens.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Interesting, I never knew that. Obviously the poison would be created based on the foods the adults eat in the wild, is it no different for captive bred specimens that have a different diet I wonder.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
This is what I thought too. To the research lab!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
If your gars spawn in a community tank you will have done something I doubt anyone outside of zoos, aquariums, and other facilities have done. Never heard of them spawning in a home tank.

My gars are in a 480g tank and there are plenty of mature gars in there. Never had a spawn.

Sent from my SCH-R530X using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

monster fish crazy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2014
Tropical climate
If your gars spawn in a community tank you will have done something I doubt anyone outside of zoos, aquariums, and other facilities have done. Never heard of them spawning in a home tank.

My gars are in a 480g tank and there are plenty of mature gars in there. Never had a spawn.

hello Fleshy
i agree with you that we would have to do something provided we witneesed the gar spawning. however, what if in the situation that we are not aware of the spawn. Further, IMO, the problem is not serious for gar only tank as it is not the gar's behavior to eat the eggs of another.
agree with you that the gar spawn in an aquarium tank is rare and i am just wonder how the gar deal with their matured roe. absorb it?
thanks for your input anyway.
cheers.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Mine spawn in my pond every year. If yours do so,you'll know. Males chase around one female ,trailing behind about a 1/2 a fish length behind her. They are egg scattering fish. After the fry hatch they have adhesive snouts that they use on plants, driftwood, rocks,aquarium glass,ect... Until they use up their yolk sac. After that,they are just smaller versions of the parents. The only difference is a feathery fin on the top of the caudal fin that eventually shrinks and turns into the scale covered upper caudal love on the adults. The fish in my pond are Longnose Gar. If anyone is interested,I will have about 500 2-3" babies ready to be shipped out in mid-May of next year. They are easily trained for non-live food at this early age. Also can be cannibalistic as well , if there is a large size difference. They grow super fast as well. 1/2" or more per week is the norm. Hope I helped, as all gar spawn similar. Rising temperature is usually the key to get them to reproduce along with the length of the day. Moon seems to affect them just a little as well.

hms01

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2012
Mine spawn in my pond every year. If yours do so,you'll know. Males chase around one female ,trailing behind about a 1/2 a fish length behind her. They are egg scattering fish. After the fry hatch they have adhesive snouts that they use on plants, driftwood, rocks,aquarium glass,ect... Until they use up their yolk sac. After that,they are just smaller versions of the parents. The only difference is a feathery fin on the top of the caudal fin that eventually shrinks and turns into the scale covered upper caudal love on the adults. The fish in my pond are Longnose Gar. If anyone is interested,I will have about 500 2-3" babies ready to be shipped out in mid-May of next year. They are easily trained for non-live food at this early age. Also can be cannibalistic as well , if there is a large size difference. They grow super fast as well. 1/2" or more per week is the norm. Hope I helped, as all gar spawn similar. Rising temperature is usually the key to get them to reproduce along with the length of the day. Moon seems to affect them just a little as well.
wow this is interestin! could u let us know what kind of water parameters ur pond has? congratz u can be a home breeder! :headbang2

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok

Happens all over Asia, Florida gars and Alligator gars are bred like wild fire. My gar guy who breeds Tropicals and says he breeds Cubans breeds his gars within a 180 gallon tank at certain periods of the year (mating seasons, fall and spring in Thailand). There's even someone on the forum "Thaigars" who breeds platinums, I was surprised at how common it is, at least compared to the past. I know of 2 people who breed gars in Bangkok and 4 who I think breed them at Chatuchak market but I've never asked.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store