Blood Parrot Care Help

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
Hey people I finally concluded that I'm going to get a blood parrot for my 40 gallon tank. Here's what I am planning to have ready before I buy my parrot:
•1 fully cycled 40 gallon tank
•sand substrate
•high power filter, preferably greater number of gallons than tank size
•more rocks and wood instead of live plants
•heater at adequate temperature

A few questions I have unanswered:
•If parrots, like a lot of cichlids, have a unique preference for pH, how should I use rocks and certain factors to adjust the pH?
•Tank mates - although one parrot grows pretty large, I've been debating between getting a pair or maybe another large tank mate for it. Any suggestions?
•Feeding - Parrots are carnivorous, but can I mix up the diet and feed some live foods besides frozen blood worms and the bland flake routine? Like maybe the occasional goldfish or minnow, and some earthworms from the back yard?

Thanks boys and I'll keep you posted on anymore questions I might have below.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
Blood parrots are pretty hardy and can withstand a lot of water parameters, in my experience, so I'd say you don't really have to find certain rocks to help with the water and the parrots, however it will create a nice natural river rock theme for the tank provided with some sand. You could help create a cave for them.. what you do is you put a flat long rock as the top, along with regular sized rocks on the sides.

A pair sounds pretty good, and definitely no more than that.. If you could get a bigger tank like a 60 gallon for a pair, that would be even better. Also, make sure you do your water changes, because they can produce a lot of waste.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
you shouldn't "adjust " ph... get locally bought fish that have been in your city water "ecosystem" ....feed them like any central american "omnivore"....... 40 B SHOULD be fine for a parrot and a couple of 3-4 inch tank mates or 1 other parrot..they like sand but gravel is ok use river rock (not sharp) ,they are kinda clumsy and may run into stuff

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
Blood parrots are pretty hardy and can withstand a lot of water parameters, in my experience, so I'd say you don't really have to find certain rocks to help with the water and the parrots, however it will create a nice natural river rock theme for the tank provided with some sand. You could help create a cave for them.. what you do is you put a flat long rock as the top, along with regular sized rocks on the sides.

A pair sounds pretty good, and definitely no more than that.. If you could get a bigger tank like a 60 gallon for a pair, that would be even better. Also, make sure you do your water changes, because they can produce a lot of waste.
This is exactly what I've been aiming for. That theme.

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
you shouldn't "adjust " ph... get locally bought fish that have been in your city water "ecosystem" ....feed them like any central american "omnivore"....... 40 B SHOULD be fine for a parrot and a couple of 3-4 inch tank mates or 1 other parrot..they like sand but gravel is ok use river rock (not sharp) ,they are kinda clumsy and may run into stuff
But do you have any good ones? I'm not going back to small community fish, they're too stressful for me. I'm thinkin maybe something big and "absent" if you know what I mean, stays hidden from the scene like a pleco. But, not a pleco though. lol

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
striped raphael(1) would be ok ..they get big (6-8 inches) but are sedentary....a few cory cats would work ...look at banjo cat's also

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
striped raphael(1) would be ok ..they get big (6-8 inches) but are sedentary....a few cory cats would work ...look at banjo cat's also
I had cories before, very little luck with them :( I'll look into banjo cats and striped raphael, though!

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
BP's love caves btw, if you can get something they can fit into nicely, they'll love ya for it

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BHARDON24

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2013
Nj
Blood parrots are disgusting. Sell them and get some REAL fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store