vase bowl aquarium question

cornbread_5

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2007
connecticut
i was wondering if you take an extra large vase put sand it and aquatic plants with no filter what type of fish besides a betta work in it? would a scarlet badis work?

cornbread_5

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2007
connecticut
rant on i have tanks just wonder if you can keep anything in a large vase besides a betta like the size of a nano tank

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
betta prefer larger tanks than a vase.
I could keep you alive in your bathroom for decades, but I'm sure you wouldn't enjoy it.
keep some snails and/or shrimp in it.

TheQuarterMile

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
India
Just a quick question in some fish species we calculate tank volume as per length of fish, so as per that logic wouldn't a 8" dia glass bowl which is approx 1.2 gallons be adequate for a 2" betta fish? It has approximately 3 times its body length to swim in.Heck if you apply that ratio to larger fish like Arowanas it would be sufficient. I also tend to agree bigger the aquarium the better for the betta fish but the logic does't stick! Can anyone shed some light without using the explanation "it's like living in your car or closet your entire life" and what's the real reason behind the 5gallon rule for bettas?

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Just a quick question in some fish species we calculate tank volume as per length of fish, so as per that logic wouldn't a 8" dia glass bowl which is approx 1.2 gallons be adequate for a 2" betta fish? It has approximately 3 times its body length to swim in.Heck if you apply that ratio to larger fish like Arowanas it would be sufficient. I also tend to agree bigger the aquarium the better for the betta fish but the logic does't stick! Can anyone shed some light without using the explanation "it's like living in your car or closet your entire life" and what's the real reason behind the 5gallon rule for bettas?
I like to think responsible keepers don't use any length of fish method. Bettas are by far the most abused fish in fish keeping. With the exception of goldfish or other "feeders".
I'll rant.
If it were an aro, most people would have some trouble setting up a 300 gallon tank. But for a betta, setting up a 10 gallon is nothing. Just because you can squeeze it into something so small doesn't mean you should. If you have to justify your reasoning to put a fish in a small tank, don't get the fish.

Betta needs a heater too.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TheQuarterMile

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
India
I like to think responsible keepers don't use any length of fish method. Bettas are by far the most abused fish in fish keeping. With the exception of goldfish or other "feeders".
I'll rant.
If it were an aro, most people would have some trouble setting up a 300 gallon tank. But for a betta, setting up a 10 gallon is nothing. Just because you can squeeze it into something so small doesn't mean you should. If you have to justify your reasoning to put a fish in a small tank, don't get the fish.

Betta needs a heater too.

I don't think it is wrong to justify claims! But what my question is can you compare it to their natural habitat which are rice paddies and puddles? Isn't it how they like to survive?

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
These fish are tank bred and sold in 5 ounce cups. They are shipped in about about 1-2 ounces of water. The least you can do is set up a proper tank. I think they deserve at least that.

Like I said, they are easily the most mistreated fish.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I think on the issue of 3x body length, comparing a betta to an arowana; I think its one of those things that the scale isn't the same at smaller or bigger sizes.

I'd say its much worse to keep a small fish in something 3 times its length, than a big fish in a big tank at 3 times length. No, I don't have any evidence to support this position.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TheQuarterMile

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
India
Keeping it in a big tank would be the humane thing to do! Not all things can be justified :)Btw is it a good idea to keep them side by side in a partitioned tank? Since they both our flaring up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store