Columnaris?

Brobstfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
USA
I may just be a little paranoid, but my conjags lip looks like it is starting to swell up. I think my florida gar may have nipped him, or he was sparring with the other conjags in the tank, as their is a scratch on his face and he is always hanging around the gar, but I am not sure. Anyways, does this look like the start of columnaris or is just from fighting with the others? I just noticed this today, and he is acting completely normal. I added some melafix and salt until I can tell one way or another.
Thanks
-Ben

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1407115051.913055.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1407115062.965047.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1407115134.802742.jpg

Brobstfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
USA
I may just be a little paranoid, but my conjags lip looks like it is starting to swell up. I think my florida gar may have nipped him, or he was sparring with the other conjags in the tank, as their is a scratch on his face and he is always hanging around the gar, but I am not sure. Anyways, does this look like the start of columnaris or is just from fighting with the others? I just noticed this today, and he is acting completely normal. I added some melafix and salt until I can tell one way or another.
Thanks
-Ben

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1407117119.741884.jpg

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
give it a couple of days. Could be Columnaris, but if it is you will see....

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
I wouldn't give it a couple of days, after a couple of days it may be too late. Soon as I see this I drop the temp or turn off the heater completely, try to keep the temps in the low 70's. This is the only way I have treated this, otherwise the fish will be dead in short time.

Brobstfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
USA
I wouldn't give it a couple of days, after a couple of days it may be too late. Soon as I see this I drop the temp or turn off the heater completely, try to keep the temps in the low 70's. This is the only way I have treated this, otherwise the fish will be dead in short time.
Are you positive it is columnaris? I don't want to fret something that isn't there

Brobstfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
USA
I just saw him sparring with a female convict and some scales are missing from his forehead, so I think it's just from him fighting. I put a divider in, did a water change, lowered the temp, and put some more melafix in. If he shows any symptoms I have maracyn 1 and 2 just in case.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Usually with columnaris, the infected fish becomes lethargic, barely moving from a stationary position, and doesn't eat.
The jaws will also become somewhat frozen, and cannot be returned to a normal position using pressure from your fingers.

Brobstfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
USA
Usually with columnaris, the infected fish becomes lethargic, barely moving from a stationary position, and doesn't eat.
The jaws will also become somewhat frozen, and cannot be returned to a normal position using pressure from your fingers.
He is still acting completely normal, was even stealing food from the gar this morning. So I am hoping it's just from fighting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store