Catfish ideas?

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I am currently growing out (or will be) some large SA/CA cichlids (Crassipinnis Oscar, True Parrot cichlid, Synspilum, Pearsei, Carpintus, etc) and Sunfish (Pumpkinseed, Longears, Rock Bass, etc) for a large plywood tank I will be building. It's footprint will probably be 78"x40". Anyway, besides the cichlids there will be a large Fire Eel, and I was tanking of doing a school of Pictus catfish, but I may just leave them in my large, peaceful SA tank. Besides the bigger fish there will be some smaller CA cichlids (4-5 inch range) for dithers. Is there a cool, maybe rare catfish that would do well in this tank? It would have to be small enough not to eat the smaller cichlids, big enough not to get picked on by the cichlids, and somewhat outgoing, because I don't like catfish that never come out.

FYI, I really like Platystomichthys sturio but they seem to be incredibly rare, and maybe get too big, and the Giraffe catfish, but they definitely get too big and would eat my fish (I think?). I know there are dwarf giraffe catfish, but are they as outgoing and cool looking as the bigger ones? I can't find much info on them.

Thanks!

Monstrous

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2013
Singapore
Get some larger species of synodontis. I would have suggested an irwini but unfortunately,they arent outgoing.

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
My dwarf giraffe is out and about all the time. He's great friends with my IT (although the tiger wouldn't agree), always swimming with him and nudging him. Doesn't appear to be scared of me when I approach the tank and is an absolute pig at feeding time, even steals the floating pellets meant for the cichlids sometimes!! I'd definitely recommend one if you can get one...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
I'll try and get some. Not so pronounced as the regular giraffe, but then mines not fully grown...

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
uploadfromtaptalk1407170449488.jpguploadfromtaptalk1407170487402.jpguploadfromtaptalk1407170530494.jpguploadfromtaptalk1407170714072.jpg

It's too bright to take decent pics with the sun on the tank. I'll try later. The last pic is when he was much smaller...

uploadfromtaptalk1407170565838.jpg

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
He looks awesome! Is he Anaspidoglanis macrostoma? I found some for $20 @ 3inches. Is that a fair price do you think? How big of fish can he eat? The tank the 3 inch one would go in (if I got it) has some fish that are only 1.5-2inches right now. Do you think he would bother/eat them?

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
Not sure on the species, but most likely what you stated. Mine was about half that price, but smaller. I'm in England too so that may make a difference. Definitely think it would be worth the 20 bucks though! When I first got mine at 2 inches I was growing it out in my small fish community and it never bothered anyone. But they do say never trust a catfish lol. As far as bothering the other fish, not so much. Mine swims around with my dat quite alot, nudging and bumping him. I think it annoys the hell out of the dat, but it isn't aggressive. It does fall out with a couple of its tankmates now and again. It's fought with both my leopard bushfish and my leporinus, but not to the point of damage being done.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store