Blood parrot controversy

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
So I just came across a user personally who believed that blood parrot distribution was immoral, that they weren't "real fish." Thoughts? I'm planning on buying one but it made me think twice.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
A lot of people think the same of flower horns. I feel as if they're pretty established in the fish keeping community. I don't find them attractive but as long as they're aren't being colored or mutilated, I see no problem with them.

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
Do what makes you happy, some find blood parrots abominations some like them. They are a cool little odd fish I've owned them before and they where cool. I personally detest flower horns with overly large koks but doesn't mean I bash someone who does

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
a list of hybrids these people likely don't cry about:

-Mule
-Savannah cats
-Bengal cats
-Wolf and Coyote domesticated dog hybrids
-the Myriad of songbird hybrids in the hobby
-Boysenberry
-Grapefruit

I know it's a belaboured point. Hybrids don't really appeal to me but as long as they are kept healthy and fine then I really don't care. People keep uglier animals than blood parrot cichlids, so what do I care?

:)

Edit: Also just cause I know it's gonna piss a few people off, Humans are a hybrid of a hybrid. After the chimpanzee/human split, it appears we interbred repeatedly. This is because "Different regions of the human and chimp genomes were found to have diverged at widely different times, and the two species' X chromosomes show a surprisingly recent divergence time."

Then after that was all done, we know that humans and neanderthals interbred- particularly Europeans, East Indians, Asians and first nations, with Europeans showing ~1-3% Neanderthal genetics. The most is in Northern Italty, though I personally am half German and show about 2.8% according to national geographic genome project that my brother contributed his genes to. This doesn't even take into account the potential for concurrent species like (potentially) Homo erectus and Homo sapiens to have mated. Remember: if a human can do, they will do. So getting all pissy about hybrids is technically a hilarious thing for people to do. (end divergence from topic, lol)

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/05/humans-chimps_2.html

madjester101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2012
Amarillo TX
Ok so this is a personal ethical question. As humans we have been selective breeding animals sense forever. At the same time I agree this is one we screwed up in order to get a specific look. Don't get me wrong there good looking fish but it wasn't worth screwing up there mouth and throat. Personally if I had an interest in these fish I would make sure to house them with there own kind or other fish that are slow eaters so they have plenty of time to eat. I would also feed them the food that is spacificly for them. They have made a food that makes it easier for them to eat. As for the ethical side of things we shouldn't have inbred them. But if you want one and are willing to give it the extra care it needs then go for it. Ok ill get off my soap box and let someone else comment now. :p

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
I'd have to say though, blood parrots are so common among LFS and chain stores that I thought for sure they were natural! Perhaps if they were weaker and had more genetic disadvantages, they wouldn't be as popular. But clearly the BP industry is booming

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Not sure what the guy means that the parrots are not "real fish" but,like most hybrid fish I just think they are ugly.They are probably the most pathetic looking and the ugliest of all the hybrids.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
don't worry about what others think about hybrids..enjoy the hobby

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
I think, in my opinion, that everyone's entitled to their opinion about it. As long as the fish doesn't look like it's wandered into Chernobyl, I don't think it's distribution should be put to end. If people are against the idea of hybrids in general then they aren't thinking realistically. Look around, there are sooooo many hybrids not only fish, boys.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Oops,sorry if you have some Lee....didn't mean to offend.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store