Please help! What is wrong with my betta???

Riddle88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Portland, Oregon
Recently moved my tank from California to Oregon, I had left it behind when I moved to Portland and picked it up about two weeks ago. My female betta has developed weird patchy white spots all over her in the meantime. I treated the tank with erythromycin and it seemed to help a little but didn't go away. I can't find anything online that matches it and pet stores were unable to say what it could be. She is acting normal, eating and everything so hopefully it is not anything too threatening. No other fish have it. I have pictures but i do not know jow to post them here. Your thoughts are much appreciated.

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
Hmm.. pics would help.. sounds like columnaris bacteria, or could be some sort of fungus. Some aquarium salt and lower temps 74 would help make sure it doesn't go viral and rampant. Also make sure you provide a lot of clean dechlorinated water by doing a lot water changes. Is the tank the betta is in cycled?

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
It's ich until I see a photo that suggests otherwise. Changing temperatures is a profoundly bad idea until you know what the disease is.

Riddle88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Portland, Oregon
Yes the tank is cycled. I kept some of the original water. Added new water, and added stress coat. Did several water changes, erythromycin and more water changes. I have pictures but I can't figure out how to upload from my phone

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
All right, that looks like a pretty bad flexibacter columnaris bacteria infection to me..

Right away, I would add some aquarium salt dissolved 1 Tbsp per 5 gallons, melted in a cup completely, and very slowly add little amounts at a time and make sure the temperature is low around 74-76 so the bacteria doesn't proliferate. Also make sure you clean your filters of mulm/brown gunk and gravel vacuum. If salt is not working, then you would have to look into antibiotics as a last resort to treat.

For now, just keep on making sure the water is very clean, new, and salted for a few weeks and keep checking for improvements. Best of luck and I hope your betta makes it.

Ninjouzata

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Georgia, USA
If that is columnaris I would be using Maracyn 1 & 2 together. I'm not sure if lowering the temp would help, possibly against the columnaris but lowering it will also lower the bettas immune system and make it worse so that's a difficult call.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Please post water perameters. Ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & hardness if available. Then I can make a recomendation.

Riddle88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Portland, Oregon
I don't have the water parameters. If this is an infection why wouldn't the other fish have it and why didn't the erythromycin help? I appreciate your guys feedback so much, I really want her to live. Most of my fish died off when I left them in CA I would really hate to lose her. Should I quarantine her or should I treat the entire tank? Thanks everyone.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store