The less fish is better

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
I have only been in this hobby for a 3 years. I have made lots of mistakes and loss lots of fish. I now feel like less fish is better then more, regardless of your tank size. I find myself being more stressed out when I have more fish to keep up with. I now only have a few fish in each of my tanks and I am thinking it would be better if I could even lessen that number. I hope I am not starting to lose interest in the hobby. Does anyone else feel this way?

***125 GALLON: 1 Red Devil, 1 Flowerhorn and 1 12 inch pleco.
60 GALLON: 1 Vieja Syn, 1 Jack Dempsey and 1 Green Terror.***

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I am not loosing interest or fish but I do feel less is more. but now I have more fish than I know what to do with. I came home Friday to Honduran red point fry and firemouth eggs Saturday morning. So I set up another tank I plan on selling these off as they grow.

Just my experience but the large aggressive aren't for everyone. I did it for a long time but I am finding more enjoyment with the smaller cichlids like what I mentioned above. I find it more interesting to watch them interact and not worry about who is going to kill who.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
In my experience a fish will act completely different when kept as a solo "wet pet". It brings out their personality without having to worry about aggression issues. Last year before I moved and sold my tanks I had a 6.5g with just a betta and shrimp, 20g with just 1 puffer, 40b with a gt and catfish, 55g with a tilapia and a 150g with a piranha. Total was 270g and 5 tanks for 6 fish. But they were big happy and healthy so no complaints.

Now there are exceptions to the rule like fish that naturally school and community tanks are great but take more experience to do successfully especially when mixing cichlids.

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
Yeah I have tried to make incompatiable fish live together and the results were not good. I think maybe I have just learned that it is best to pick your fav fish and provide them with the space they need versus making them fight to the death just so I can have more fish in my tank. I love big and aggressive fish so I just had to get use to one or two fish in a huge tank. I've tried smaller fish and they just are not for me. I gotta have a large fish with personality

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Yeah I have tried to make incompatiable fish live together and the results were not good. I think maybe I have just learned that it is best to pick your fav fish and provide them with the space they need versus making them fight to the death just so I can have more fish in my tank. I love big and aggressive fish so I just had to get use to one or two fish in a huge tank. I've tried smaller fish and they just are not for me. I gotta have a large fish with personality

The firemouths and HRP's have loads of personality most personable fish I have owned actually. But if large is what you want just go with 1 or 2. Your tank will have less fish but the fish you have will be more active and more enjoyable.

waynes world

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2010
North Manchester UK
Not always `less is better` why would it be better? some fish need other fish some fish are loners, depends on the fish you want to keep,are they compatible.

A LOT is down to the size of tank and the fish you are keeping together if more than one, if you are loosing loads of fish its down to the wrong set up or fish being kept in the same tan. The amount of fish doesnt matter aslong as the tank is big enough that is. if you have one fish or a dozen then its no different in keeping them, as all will be looked after together in the one tank.

The best thing for you to do IMO is to choose which fish you want to keep and then see if any other fish can be kept with it once you are happy with the fish you choose, Not good sticking fish in together with no thout if they can be kept together with out fighting, or eating each other.

Which ever you decide good luck and do the best you can for the fish :)

PaleAle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2012
I have a 6x2 with a jag & polleni, a4ft with a green terror & silver$$, a 4ft with a flowerhorn & 5ft tank with Juvie Festae & get much more enjoyment from that then I ever did with tank full of Africans. I like Africans but a tank with a big unstressed Monster Fish in it is far more gratifying to me.

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
Paleale I agree!

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
I agree with this! Not only is it healthier and lighter on the bio load, but I feel like less fish is actually more aesthetically appealing. I alway view tanks with huge swarms of schooling fish as quite overwhelming and even stressful to look at, much less care for. It's much more zen when there is a huge open space and just a few fish get to enjoy it for themselves ^_^

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store