Live Bait as food?

MonsterNelson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2011
Australia
Hi MFKs, has anyone tried using sandworms as fish food? They're cheaper than regular earthworms, so I'm curious if it is safe to use them as live feeders for my bichirs?

sand_worms.jpg

sand_worms.jpg

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
If its the same as what we call ragworm in the uk then I'd be concerned about the bloody great teeth on them!!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
They look somewhat similar to the live bait that we term "bloodworms" (Not the midge fly larva in the frozen cubes!).

If that is the case, they are a delight that my fish adore. I am concerned however that this may not however be the bait that we refer to as Bloodworms due to your price range.

The large night crawlers go for $2 - $4 per dozen in the same baitshops that sell the "bloodworms" for $10 - $12 per dozen!

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Not cheap in the USA. Sandworms come from saltwater so are safe to feed to freshwater fish. Freshwater fish can't catch disease from saltwater creatures.

MonsterNelson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2011
Australia
If its the same as what we call ragworm in the uk then I'd be concerned about the bloody great teeth on them!!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I can snip the heads off before feeding, they still wriggle around heaps! :nilly:

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
OZ is full of crazy monsters

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
I can snip the heads off before feeding, they still wriggle around heaps! :nilly:
It now sounds like it is what we call bloodworms. It has many times the fish attractant value when fishing for small saltwater fish species here in the mid Atlantic USA. Like I said, we pay $10 - $12 dollars for a dozen of these worms vs. $2 - $4 for large earthworm (Night Crawlers).

If this is the case, I would never go back to earth worm/ night crawler if I could even get Bloodworms at the same price as E.W/N.C's! If they were less expensive, it would be a no brainer.

I have heard of these worms causing serious blood from a fisherman's finger when it is handled improperly. It might be a good idea to lop off the head before feeding similiar to removal of crayfish claws prior to the use as feeders.

LancasterK26

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2014
Auburn, WA
I have a question... Is it safe for me to feed superworms (zophobas moro) to my Ornate Bichir? I thought I was grabbing earthworms, but got these suckers by mistake.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store