Buying plywood tank, made by someone else?

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I found a homemade plywood tank on Craigslist, and was wanting some input on it. This is what I know from corresponding with the person:

"It is 72 inches long, 24 inches deep and 24 inches tall. I used Pond Shield to seal the plywood, the last time I filled it, it did not leak. That was the only time it has been filled. The seams and glass are sealed with silicone and the glass is one half inch thick. If it is filled all the way to the top it will hold 180 gallons of water but I would recommend leaving the top three or four inches free of water.The plywood is 3/4 of an inch thick. It is braced on the top, thats why I left that strip of wood in the middle not cut out. I made it about three month ago. when I filled it it was filled for about three days with no leaks. I did not use fiber glass. Im selling it because I made it for myself then right before I was ready to get it all set up I found out I was moving to a new place and the landlord wont let me have a tank that big on the second floor which is quite understandable if you ask me. Lastly I would love to hear your offer."

So first, does this sound like a well made tank? Is it likely to be safe? If so, what would be a reasonable offer to make for it?

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Worth Very little. Honestly you should be able you find tanks that size for good prices. I would not buy unless he fills it for a week and you can come see it on the first day and the last. I bet it leaks. They need to be test filled for a couple weeks. If you really want it pay him one third the amount you agree on and say if it does not leak I'll give you the other 2/3rds

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Without fiberglass I doubt it would hold for any long period of time. If it was well build and big and real cheap maybe but for 150g +/- I wouldnt risk it.

MarineMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Southern California
Without fiberglass reinforced seams it's not worth the risk especially if you plan to bring it inside the house. A used 180 glass, shouldn't cost much more than $1/gallon. My 180g glass tank was only $370 brand new *not including tax And came with the glass tops.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Plywood tanks are risky to begin with. Not knowing the builder or quality of work I'd say no way. I'm also skeptical of his story, who would build a tank knowing they were moving? He could easily be lying and is selling because he sees a problem (like bowing which would eventually lead to a leak or blow out) and doesn't want to or know how to fix it.

As far as an offer tell him you have a standing offer to take it off his hands for free. I doubt he'll find a buyer and if he really is moving and really can't take it he may just give it to you. Make sure you set it up in a garage or basement next to a drain though, in the likely event of failure.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
I agree with everyone else. Way too risky for that size. You could find a used glass tank that size for fairly cheap. Just as an example, I currently have a 210 with an Eheim 2260 canister and a DIY stand for sale for $375. Deals can be found if you look and are patient.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Ok, thanks for the input. I think I'll tell him that if he can't sell it I would be willing to take it for free. Luckily all my fish tanks are in my basement, so I am not as petrified of it leaking as I would be if it were upstairs. Even if it completely burst it wouldn't do that much damage.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store