Looking for info on possibly keeping turtle in a 55g.....

we4wieners

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2010
Atlantic City, N.J.
Ive read the stickys here but would like to reach a member who has one. Anyone have a good source for keeping a turtle?

Riddle88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Portland, Oregon
When I got my 55g it came with a pleco and a small turtle. I had the turtle a couple years. Just had a docking station and it worked out just fine. Even added fish.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

we4wieners

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2010
Atlantic City, N.J.
I may create a cement beach by tilting the tank and adding some cement and putting 1" PVC to act as conduit to run filter lines through it. I've done it on a smaller scale with a 20L. I only want the tank filled 1/2 to 3/4. Id like to add some plastic plants to the concrete as it dries as well as some decorative stones. Gonna start it tomorrow and keep a blog of it. Ill run a canister filter and have the return cascade over the cement rocks.

1. Do they need a completely dry section or can it be waterfall-like?
2. Any supplements to water or food?
3. Feed dry food only or feeders also?
4. Should I just go with a RES?
5. Can plecos and other bottom livestock be kept for housekeeping purposes?

Riddle88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Portland, Oregon
I had a pleco, tiger barbs, bettas, coreys, tetras, and platys in my tank with my turtle. He was a small turtle and I never had any problems with it trying to eat the fish. Just make sure the pleco has a tunnel or something to hide in if the turtle is bothering. The dock I had was dry, he had the option of being fully in or out of the water or half in half out. I fed dry food but tried a few different things before finding what he liked best. You have to clean your tank a lot more if you have a turtle. Odors come quickly and water is harder to keep clear. It is a bit more work.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Brobstfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
USA
Species of turtle is most important, more common turtles such as a red ear slider would not do well in a 55. It would be limited to smaller musk and mud turtles.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

we4wieners

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2010
Atlantic City, N.J.
I'm trying to find and African Sideneck. I'm not sure where to purchase them being that they are illegal to be sold in NJ.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Does that also mean that they can't be brought into the state if bought online?...If not there are plenty of sites that sell different species of turtles but if that species is not allowed in your state then they won't ship it go you.

we4wieners

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2010
Atlantic City, N.J.
Does that also mean that they can't be brought into the state if bought online?...If not there are plenty of sites that sell different species of turtles but if that species is not allowed in your state then they won't ship it go you.
Think you're right. What about in Phila? Monster, Giant, anyone have a variety?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store