Circulation pump too strong?

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I have a 750 gph pump that I put in my 75 with my red devil and that thing was really knocking him around.

Is the pump too big or is it going to take some getting used to.

Red devil is around 11", 2 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
These fish have evolved to live in fast moving rivers. Way I see it, the Amazon River and all its tributaries move VERY fast when it rains hard. These fish HAVE to be able to handle that. You're getting 10 times turnover, I don't see a problem. I think your Red Devil will figure it out pretty quick.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Haha ok. I saw the current slam him into his cave and was like "well this isn't going work" haha. I'll give it another shot tomorrow.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Try putting the pump output at the surface so the most force is along the top of the water, rippling the surface for good air exchange. That way, fish can hang on the bottom or mid level to get out of tbe current a little bit. Put a big driftwood so they can get behind that. I have an Eheim 2262 in a 125 that's what I did. Even small 2 inch fish figure it all out. Few days, they're all over the tank floating in heavy current, negotiating current changes, no problem. They know what to do.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
you could put it on a timer for a while and watch to see how they react after a while. if they always go and hide from the current then you know they prefer the slower water flow.
I would run it at least some though, many fish love playing in the current.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store