Floating Irwini

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
For the second time I have an Irwini, same problem but some information this time. It is 5". I have had it, like last one, for about 3-4 months. I went to do my weekly water change this morning and it was floating at the surface. I picked it up with no effort to get away. Slow respiration but nothing physically wrong. Belly plump but not overly. I last saw it Friday or Saturday at lights out cruising for food.
I did my usual 50% water change, vacuuming about 3/4 of gravel bed well. I am not one to check water chemistry, I just change lots of water. I broke open the brand new API master test kit and had some strange readings. Expiration date 11/18.
Readings:
Ph: 6.6
Carbonate Hardness: 120
Ammonia: .25?
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Ph straight from tap: 8.4, 0 ammonia.

I didn't test water till after water change so I assume the Ph was even lower. I also assume I have a maintenance issue for my Ph to be so far off from tap reading. Do I have 0 nitrate because my Ph is so low there is no nitrification happening? If so, why wasn't the ammonia higher? I have no clue if this has any bearing on the Irwini problem. The other one was a floater like this but I did no water tests then. I plan on doing another big water change in the morning and am going to move all of the driftwood and clean the Eheim 2262. The tank is a 240 with a 100 gallon K1 moving bed filter and 100 mic socks changed every week or so. I move around 3000 GPH through sump.

Any thoughts on if my water issue has any bearing on the cat? There are also about 20 silver dollars and 3 8-10" Dats and a Jaguar cat. I hope I have supplied enough information for a start. I will take readings before the water change. I hope you guys have some ideas on the Irwini.
Thanks
Rodger

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Ph dropped to 6.2 in the last 22 hours. Other readings are the same. The Irwini is the same but now has what appears to be septicema. Body is bloody.
uploadfromtaptalk1407247398947.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1407248121371.jpg
Irwini was stuck in a log for a couple weeks. Maybe injured? Is septicema contagious?

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Shake test bottles longer than what the instructions say especially the nitrae test bottles will give a false reading if bottles are not shaken long enough, I am battleing with high nitrate levels right now because I did not make sure solution in the test bottles were well mixed, I have a couple of tanks with low ph levels, but getting nitrate readings. BTW Sorry about your Irwini hopes it gets better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store