Do I need one or two valves

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Putting a T in my return line so I can control the water flow in my 220 frontosa tank do I need one just off the T heading to the sump or two one on main line one on sump line ? Or just one on main thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Scratching my head on what you mean. Just put a ball valve between the pump and tank

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
What Brich said. Should be pump -> ball valve -> t union. That's how I've got it set-up on my 144 for the returns.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
So my return pump is kinda strong and in the past the fish I had would just get pushed to my overflow so I was looking at ways to slow down flow and I read (pretty sure here) that putting a valve on the return line can reduce the life of the pump. To fix this you split the line into two lines and one goes to sump the other goes to main tank this way you can reduce the flow to main tank without putting undue stress on pump but my question is to further control flow into main tank how to place valves

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Most pumps are fine to restrict the outflow. Most will also use less energy. You can keep your pump wide open and route some water to run through the sump again but that sounds overcomplicated. Just dont restrict the intake on the pump and you will be fine

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
I assume that simply purchasing a new pump is out of the question? I only mention it because I've recently started researching DC pumps for my 240 gallon project, and they are amazing for several reasons: less energy used; less heat put off; and completely controllable flow rates. You can ramp the flow up or down as required with a digital controller attached to the pump. The salt water guys apparently turn them down or off when feeding - there's even a button for that which pauses or significantly reduces the flow for 10 minutes before going back to the set power level.

If that's not an option, then yes, a ball valve and a t union would work for you. I have had a ball valve on my Laguna 2000 pump since the day I set it up, and I've had no problems. I only have the flow restricted slightly, but if I let it go full blast, I'm pretty sure it will pump faster than my drains can accommodate. Have you considered using the t valve to have 2 returns into the tank? Maybe one on each side, or even on positioned lower in the water column?

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
Most pumps are fine to restrict the outflow. Most will also use less energy. You can keep your pump wide open and route some water to run through the sump again but that sounds overcomplicated. Just dont restrict the intake on the pump and you will be fine
:thumbsup:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store