AROWANA Question

mattmez

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2014
Coal City IL
Hi this is a really stupid question and i know the answer but i want to see what you guys say i have a 50 gal 36x18x20 is there any kind of arowana i can put in there i just love them but dont have the space in my bigger tanks (180, 220) for one and would like to know if there is some king of species i can put in the 50

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
No arowana for that tank. Pretty limited choices even for your other tanks.

aakash

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
India
Buy a small one. Grow it to a foot and then throw it in the bigger tank
I totally agree.
This tank is not bad for a juvenile aro, as has 1.5 feet width and 3 feet length, which should be fine for up to 12 inches size, as guidelines says:
length should be 3 times the aro, and width to be equal to aro length.

BlueTailCatfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
bmore
Even a 180 is REALLY pushing it for a SILVER arowana. After seeing the 4 foot arowana at the public aquarium it has changed my perspective on tank size. No fish with a 2.5-4 foot potential should be crammed into a 6 foot tank period. A jardini might be fine in a 180 though.

Not to derail the thread just a heads up. I would look into jardinis as they are more well suited in home aquariums.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mattmez

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2014
Coal City IL
I was reading and I was kinda thinking about a baby black aro because their growth rate is really slow what do u guys think

McPhish

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 7, 2014
MI
I was reading and I was kinda thinking about a baby black aro because their growth rate is really slow what do u guys think
Blacks dont grow that slow, only slower when compared to silvers . Blacks get up to at least 12-14" their first year. At least 20" their 2nd year. Either get a jardini, or play it smart and get a tank with at least 30" width for the black arowana.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store