Cloudy water in established tank ( Pics included)

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
My tank about a week ago turned cloudy; a milky white color. (see pic 1) It hasn't got worse but isn't getting better. I also have some clear-white patches on the surface of the tank that are slimy to the touch.( see pic 2)

More detailed Info:

-The tank is not new and has been running for over 2 years. Water Parameters are: 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 20 Nitrate, Ph 8.2, temp 80. 20% WC’s by gravel vac are performed every week. The cloudiness did not result after a water change or after a filter cleaning. It came out of know where.

- My 1[SUP]st[/SUP] thought is that this is a Heterotrophic Bacteria bloom? If it is a bacteria bloom it must be due to excess organics correct? What steps do I need to correct and fix this issue, if it is indeed a bacteria bloom? I have already cut back on feeding, added more air, and yesterday I rinsed my media in my Hob filter, and added some activated carbon. I haven’t increased water changes as I’m not sure it will help a bacteria bloom?

- One more thing to add is my tank is in my living room and this time of year it gets some sun in the morning. Algae has been building up for a while and curious if this cloudiness could be due to an algae build up? I have though keep all windows covered for the past week and haven’t turned on the lite much at all in the tank or even the living room. Doing this hasn't made a difference. I do have brown, black, and a greenish-blue algae in the tank. (See Pic 3) I have had all types of algae for over a year though. The brown algae is the only one that has been slightly worse lately though. I don't think the cloudiness is due to algae but wanted to mention it to.

Please let me know if you need any more info or pics? Please let me know if this could be due to something I’m not thinking of?

Thanks so much!

IMG_1332.JPGIMG_1334.JPGIMG_1335.JPG

IMG_1332.JPG

IMG_1334.JPG

IMG_1335.JPG

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Yep cloudy water suggests a beneficial bacteria bloom, perfectly normal. Its just a way for your tank to reestablish its little ecosystem. I wouldn't do any water changes until it clears up, usually takes a week or so.

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
Yep cloudy water suggests a beneficial bacteria bloom, perfectly normal. Its just a way for your tank to reestablish its little ecosystem. I wouldn't do any water changes until it clears up, usually takes a week or so.
I don't think beneficial Bacteria can reproduce quick enough to cause a bloom. If it is a bacteria bloom I think it has to be the Hetrotrophic Bacteria. Would you or anyone else know, do you still just leave it alone? Thanks

MichaelE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2005
sweden
I don't think beneficial Bacteria can reproduce quick enough to cause a bloom. If it is a bacteria bloom I think it has to be the Hetrotrophic Bacteria. Would you or anyone else know, do you still just leave it alone? Thanks
A uv-filter should clear it right up. Don't dump any meds in the tank before you tried that.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I had this twice, both times it just went away after 4-5 days. It was on a 125 Gallon, I had 2 Eheim 2217's on it. I took one off and replaced it with an Eheim 2262 and haven't had anything like it since. Not saying that's what fixed it, don't know what it was in my tank, but that's what happened....

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
Tanks for the reply's everyone. I've taken the approach of just leaving it lone for the past several days. It has gotten much worse. Everything I've read says that bacteria blooms usually get better in days? Does anyone know how longs these blooms last? Is there anything I should be doing that im not. Water Parameters: Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 20 Temp 80 Ph 8.2.. Thanks in advance

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
Might be some kind of algae bloom.. try the uv filter like one of the members suggested. Take a sample of the water and look at it under a scope, that will answer most if not all your questions

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
Thanks for the reply. Can I ask why you would think Algae bloom not Bacteria Bloom? I was leaning toward a bacteria bloom due to the cloudy white color and not an abundance of algae in the tank. Can algae blooms be white? I don't have a Microscope and wouldn't know what to look for if I did:) Ill look into a UV filter but short on money. If I do get a Uv filter, I know it will solve algae issues but will it also help a bacteria bloom? Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store