Wait... could I get a bluegill?

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
Ok boys I must be getting annoying by now posting all these threads about blood parrots but I didn't really mention that I wanted bluegill from the start, which I should have. I fished bluegill when I was younger and thought it was hilarious how their fins cut up my dads hand xD Anyway I was wondering if one would fit in a 40 gal for himself... If not I'll stick with the blood parrot plan. I don't even know where I can buy a bluegill anywhere haha

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
I got a 8 inch bluegill in a 55 gal right now. Had him for about a year now and hes fine. I just caught mine at a local lake lol. But in a 40 breeder he'll have plenty of space.

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
Sucks how they don't sell native fish like bass and bluegills at pet stores. Going out of my way to drive and fish would probably result in death on the ride back :(

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
There are sites that sell minnows and other native fish that you might be able to order bluegill from.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Depends on the vendor.If you catch one transport should be fairly safe if you use a battery operated air pump.I got mine from Walmart.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Just have a cycle tank set up without a heater and he'll acclimate fine. Bluegills are very hardy in means of water tolerance. I just triple layered trash bags and he was fine for over 40 mins in the car.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Lol Walmart? That is surprising. Their fish section is far from impressive.
Well I'm no hardcore angler but the one in my area seems to have a small but pretty decent fishing section,that is where the bubblers are.I guess they are intended to be used for keeping bait fish alive...The bluegill probably could live its life in a 40 gallon though bigger is always better.They can reach a foot in length though but then I'm not certain if they are relentless cruisers or if they hang in one spot for long periods like a lot of sunfish tend to do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store