She laid eggs, need advice!

MisterCichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2014
New Jersey
Hello all,

So my SRT project has launched. My female Red mammon laid her eggs today, and I am using my male carpintis as the counterpart, but I've never bred fish who wasn't an established pair. So here's my situation. The female is at my dads house just a few blocks away from where I live and keep my carpintis. He called me ab an hour ago saying she laid eggs so I shot right over there with the carpintis, acclimated him and put him in. Of course she was going crazy attacking him (he is twice her size lol) so I divided them separating the mom and leaving carpintis on the side with the eggs to do his job. She is of course trying to get back to her eggs and he is investigating the eggs and hanging around them. So I left my dads came home now I'm on here. Did I do anything wrong? Or right? Are there any breeding suggestions/techniques anybody has to offer? Where should I take it from here? All feedback will be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to hearing from some of you guys!!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Usually, if the eggs aren't fertilized by a male within a few moments of being put down, they won't be fertile.
Females may sometimes lay eggs without a male in the tank, because they have become gravid, but without a male immediately following, it sounds a bit like Extant, or a piscine immaculate conception .

Mr.Manaconda

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Very low probability that they were fertilized that way. Just put up a divider and leave him in there, get them both conditioned up on good food big water changes and raise temps. When you see her getting close (Gravid belly, tube dropping) raise the divider and let them go at it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store