sump tank filter question

godfreylang

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2013
Philippines
Hi guys, can you please comment on my sump filter tank setup ? It seems I have thrown in everything but the main tank's water is not that crystal clear. I do not know what else to add to my sump tank to make the water clearer and free from some small sediments ... my nitrates is a little high at 40ppm while ammonia and nitrites is at 0.

1st chamber is white filter wool, 2nd chamber is jap mats , 3rd chamber is jap mats and bio balls, 4th chamber is ceramic rings and floor polish pads .

Tks guys ...

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
Can you not use a filter sock? Try changing the way you floss sits in the first compartment- it looks like you have just balled it up and chucked it in... try laying multiple layers out flat like you have with the japmat...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

js302

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
England
exactly what Ian21777 said.
squeeze the floss in much tighter
wait for your filter to populate adequately - it helps
when your filter is mature - add Purigen to polish and bind some small free particles.

show us a full tank shot

godfreylang

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2013
Philippines
Ok many tks ian and js ! I am using sera filter wool. I remember that because the sera filter is so dense the water flowed on top of the divider and didnt go through the wool anymore so I placed the wool more loosely in the chamber. Will try again placing the wool flat and see if the water is passing thru it properly now or maybe buy a different brand filter wool

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
Try and get the sheets of floss rather than the bundles. Ebay is your friend for that. I'd recommend filter socks rather than floss for the ease of changing though.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

godfreylang

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2013
Philippines
Ok tks for the great idea ian ! Will look for those filter socks and will probably get those filter sheets - costs cheaper too :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store