Help bring my jardini back to black

StingraySteve

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Australia
Hey guys

Hoping someone can help me here. I've had my new toga for a month or 2 and he has undergone a big colour change the past fortnight. When I first got him (and the week before before I brought him home) he was really dark - not 100% sure if he's a genuine jet black but very dark nonetheless. Now his color resembles more of a bronze goldfish; similar to a feeder fish. A week before bringing him home I matched the previous tank's pH, temp and salt content (took the prev owner's word on salt).

The previous tank had no background (just the white wall behind it), thin layer of crushed coral substrate and some small driftwood. Since I put a black background and have copious amounts of driftwood in my tank, I thought his darkness would be enhanced exponentially. I also sprinkled some black quartz over my substrate but that has since been driven underneath. Is it possible that he's trying to stand out from the background as opposed to blending in like most fish do? It might explain why he was so dark in a very light tank.

To be fair, he has had some minor incidents recently; lost scales and a busted lip from having "toddler tantrums" so it is understandable that he may be a bit stressed right now.

The only parts of him that have remained black are his fins and tail. Has anyone out there had a similar issue?

My Water parameters are pH 7.3, ammonia 0, nitrate 20ppm

Will upload some before and after pics soon

StingraySteve

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Australia
The first image is when I brought him home (hence the foam box), the second is around 3-4 weeks of him in my tank, the last image was taken a few days ago. Can't seem to get a better pic of him at the moment to show how he really is.

New_Jardini_1[1].JPG

New_Jardini_3[1].JPG

DSC_0058.JPG

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
yours is totally black than mine. im interested where you sourced it as im planning to have a small colony of jardini on my tank. do understand that some people are saying it cant be done, but want to try it out.

hope it gets back to its colour when you bought it.

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
yours is totally black than mine. im interested where you sourced it as im planning to have a small colony of jardini on my tank. do understand that some people are saying it cant be done, but want to try it out.

hope it gets back to its colour when you bought it.
Small colony of jardini ? In the same tank ? How big is this indoor pond?

OP sorry for the derail. Could it be possible jardini was someway color enhanced and now it's wearing off? Great looking Jardini !

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

StingraySteve

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Australia
Black Jardinis are a tough find. In my life I've seen 3 (including mine). Most of the time farmers/breeders and those who supply aquarium fish will keep them for their own purposes. I got mine off a guy I've known fr some years.

TBH a colony of jars is going to be difficult to say the least. When they're small they'll school together but some will become very territorial and psychopathic - natural selection. If you were to try it I'd suggest a MASSIVE tank/pond with heaps of structure. If u did manage to find a black one I suggest keeping him on his own. Last thing you would want is for him to be marauded by his jardini counterparts.

StingraySteve

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Australia
Black Jardinis are a tough find. In my life I've seen 3 (including mine). Most of the time farmers/breeders and those who supply aquarium fish will keep them for their own purposes. I got mine off a guy I've known fr some years.

TBH a colony of jars is going to be difficult to say the least. When they're small they'll school together but some will become very territorial and psychopathic - natural selection. If you were to try it I'd suggest a MASSIVE tank/pond with heaps of structure. If u did manage to find a black one I suggest keeping him on his own. Last thing you would want is for him to be marauded by his jardini counterparts.

StingraySteve

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Australia
Small colony of jardini ? In the same tank ? How big is this indoor pond?

OP sorry for the derail. Could it be possible jardini was someway color enhanced and now it's wearing off? Great looking Jardini !

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Personally I doubt it because I have seen the jar a few times... Always very dark. But that being said it could be possible. How would one go about enhancing black colours in fish though? Because I thought the black background and driftwood wood have sufficed - especially considering the surroundings he came from

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
I've been offered interstate black jardinis when I was hunting for it. Somebody told me that the environment may cause the black colouration to occur. If you look at my old post you can see that my jar came from a local store and doesn't have the black surroundings. I was even hesitant bidding on it as I'm worried that the colour will fade - but thankfully it didn't and had snatched the jar (I'm calling it the "poor man's arowana") from other bidders. I'm targetting 3-5 jardinis on my community tank. Sometimes the "poor man's arowana" misbehaves I have to hit it with a stick.

if you trust the person you bought it from, then the colour change maybe temporary.

StingraySteve

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Australia
I always thought environment played some sort of role in it aswell - hence the background. My driftwood has always been there though. Also from what I understand, diet doesn't really factor in.. Unless feeding rubbish which I hope I'm not. Personally I wouldn't buy a "rare" fish from interstate unless you either know the person or are able to see it face to face but that's just me.

I think I have seen that thread "poor man's arowana" very nice toga. I did notice that particular tank didn't have a background and the fish black as the ace of spades.

Sent from my D5322 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

StingraySteve

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Australia
Bit of an update... Had the original owner over today to check out the toga. His eyes almost popped out of his head. He said that if it wasn't for the white marking on the end of his snout he would have thought it was a different fish lol. His opinion is that the fish is still stressed out - highlighted by the fact that he is still a bit skittish and not eating as aggressively as before.

Sent from my D5322 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store