How small is too small?

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
So I've got a Tire Track Eel and a Clown Knife I'm hoping to add to my poly tank. Currently the tank has 3 Endli, 2 Moke, 1 Ornate, 1 Palmas Polli, 2 Senegal, and 1 Ropefish. The ropefish is the longest at ~16", but the Endli are definitely biggest at ~12". Everything else is smaller down to ~6" (Senegal).

So my question is, how big does the eel and knife have to get before I can add them to the tank?

The eel is currently at ~9" and easily as thick as the palmas polli.

The knife is ~5-6" and about as tall as the biggest endli is wide.

I'd keep them both in their respective tanks for a lot longer and let them grow out, but I'm going to be moving and decreasing my tank load. So unless I can find a home for the knife, he's coming with me. I could leave the eel with his current tank mates and upgrade him with them to the 90g that the knife is in, but I'm hesitant to put a BGK with a CK...

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
I wouldn't risk anything. When my sen was about 6-7" I tried introducing a 3" BGK that was as high as the sen was wide and the sen bit it in half after half an hour. Even more so with the Eel.. I'd wait till they are 75% the endlies size.

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
My experience the eel would be totally fine, ive had about a 8" eel with a full grown ornate, senegalus and BGK as well as a 10" endi. But thats a personal choice for you.

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
How big do you think the CK should be before I add him?
Well iv ha a problem wit endlis eating my other fish .... Everyone told me that endlis r the worst about eating other fish .... Apparently their eyes r bigger than their bellys lol I would wait till 9" at least that's if the endli doesn't get bigger and even then the knife fish might be to thin to risk it but I would say at least 9" man good luck on him knife fish are awesome

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

D.Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
I intruduced 3" fire eel to 12" endli..you need 3 things - lots of small hiding spaces, endli well fed and smart eel :) all went ok for me :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
I have a 15" endli and 8-9" CKF and everything is just fine. but the CKF is rather large. I have a 4" CKF in another tank with smaller polys (5-7") I wouldn't mix any of the smaller polys or knife with my endli way to risky. it already ate a 5" TSN. my vote Is wait. unless you don't care if the CKF lives or dies

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store