A foam box?

toffee

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2006
Texas
I am trying to build something like the red "box" for outdoor, next to pond.
foam1.jpg

Questions:

Shall I use foam board? If so, which type?
Styrofoam are messy to cut, especially the two inches thick.
How to glue them together? what glue to use?

if not foam, then how?

This box will be outdoor in low desert of southern California. Summer can get to 120F.

foam1.jpg

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
First what are you planning to put in this pond? 120F is very high just about everything will die at that heat unless you have a very powerful chiller.

Foam will only do for a short time and will eventually erode do to weather and being out doors . I think cinder blocks and cement is what you want

Sent from my LG-LS980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

toffee

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2006
Texas
currently there are goldfishes in this pond and doing just fine, may be being in ground and over 4ft deep helped. By using cinder blocks, it would still need water proofing, wouldn't it?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Don't know if it'll work, but you can try rigid insulation from Lowes/HD. They come in 2x8 sheets and different thicknesses. Silicone will bond the foam without destroying it.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Oh ok. Not entirely only the parts that would have water running thru or you can lay pvc pipe and run your filter thru the pipe and just cement it into the box. You could probably use a rubberized pond sealer if you want to go the first idea

Sent from my LG-LS980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Arthur

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2005
michigan
Wouldn't think it would be too hard to build that out of wood and seal it with some fiberglass.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store