what is the best and cheapest way to make a lid for my 65 gallon

threeRBPs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2014
chicago
i first used plexi and wow it got ugly fast
i have a filter mounted on the left side not on the back so regular versa tops would not work i wondered if i could cut a couple inches off the versa top with a glass cutter but i have never cut glass so it could be risky so please help :)

waynes world

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2010
North Manchester UK
In the past i have used MDF board in either 12mm or 18mm thick, cheap and easy to work with, to seal a good gloss paint will do the job. if thats what you mean by a top.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Versa tops come with a plastic edge for the back of the tank that can be trimmed to fit around your insulation. That being said, is there a reason you need a cover? Even before I had a rimless tank I didnt have a top on most my tanks (tilapia tank being an exception because he had a splashing issue)

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Don't think this will work since the versatop is hinged......unless you make a brace for that left side or permanently "lock" the hinging mechanism

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
How about using "egg crate" light diffuser as main supporting structure with plexiglass placed on top?

JPCHAOS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2012
post falls, id
Versa tops come with a plastic edge for the back of the tank that can be trimmed to fit around your insulation. That being said, is there a reason you need a cover? Even before I had a rimless tank I didnt have a top on most my tanks (tilapia tank being an exception because he had a splashing issue)

+1 all mine are open top but then again I have plants that break the surface so It's more appealing without covers
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I bought a glass cover for my 40 breeder and it was $37 at petsmart. Making one might not save you that much money.

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
Nothing works better than glass. So you should bite the bullet and just learn to cut glass. It is quite easy once you learn, so don't be afraid. Get some scrape pieces to practice on first. I usually use the glass from old tanks that I don't use anymore. Use a Purdy putty knife to take the tank apart.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store