A Question about CARBON

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
I have many fish tanks and I run activated carbon in each of my cannister filters. (13 of them) It seems to be old school thinking. Am I correct that many people are keeping fish healthy with just filter media and water changes? NO carbon? Please let me know what works for you. These tanks all house large Cichlids.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
In the last 5 years of fish keeping the only time ive used carbon was to remove medication. No NEED for it but it can help in a few ways like absorbing tannins and chemicals and odor from some tanks

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
I've spend HUNDREDS. Most likely THOUSANDS of dollars on Carbon! What about media cleaning? How often do you guys clean out the media?

Carbon is ok, but i wouldn't make it a big part of my filtration arsenal. I use it sparingly in one or two of my tanks which are prone to yellowing even if I do large water changes. However, Carbon is in some of the pre-made filter pads i use in my marineland 350s. But i wouldn't add carbon to a canister or to any filter I can't easily remove it from.

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
I use those carbon pads that you can put in canister filters in my Aquaclear 110s. I find it plays a good role in keeping the water clear and acts like a second sponge

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
If you do regular water changes, there is no need to use carbon. Don't remember the last time I used it. It was many many years ago.

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Add another to the list of people who hadn't used carbon in years.

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
If you need carbon to take out smells you have bigger problems

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store