AquaClear HOB filter is leaking! How do I stop it?

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
It's leaking around the bottom area where you would attach that plastic knob thing.. I'm currently using the 20 model for 10 gallons.

Any way to stop the leak? It's not leaking horribly, but very very slowly, and I could see calcium leak deposits on the back of the tank.. Very unsightly. I recall this happening before too to some of my HOB's on different tanks.. I tried a dry rag towel on the back to absorb the leaks.. it helped, but it didn't exactly fix the root issue..

Any ideas on how to fix the leak?

Thanks guys.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Have you ever removed the pump? I would take it off and wet the O-ring and put it back on. Might as well clean the impeller and housing real good while at it.

If that O-ring degraded to the point where it started leaking all by itself though, the other possibility is that removing the pump will make it much worse though too. In which case you need a new O-ring.

castro1212

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2012
metairie louisiana
How old is the filter? If the filter has any good age then the o ring is wore out and I wouldn't remove it until you get a new one because the leak can and most likely worsen when you remove the pump

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
If you are referring to the leveler that just presses into the hole on the bottom of the filter, it's possible there is a hairline crack in the housing. A good epoxy should repair the crack if you can find it.

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
Thanks a lot for all the help guys. I'll see what I can do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store