Substrate return line

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
I saw somewhere... I think or I'm making it up. Where someone had their return line in their substrate with many different points where the water came out anyone know what I'm talking about or what this is called or am I just crazy

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
If you run a closed loop system like canisters you can drill the bottom pane and have locline run up through the substrate. Wont work for sumps because if power went out your whole tank would drain

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
I had that happen I had my return line a few inches under the surface lost power last year and flood in basement I almost had to sell my 220 (wife was mad) so this time I drilled a small hole just below the surface power goes off water drains hole breaks the suction due to letting air in would this work here as well?

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Water will drain until the siphon breaks. Siphon wont break until water line gets below the return so um ya.... I wouldnt ever try to set the return from a sump anywhere except the surface. If you want to do this do it with canisters or inline filters like oceanclear or lifegard or something like that. Google "closed loop aquarium" for loads of results

Note the return for the sump high in the overflow while these are separate and used to flow more water near the bottom. Not my pic just one from google
images.jpeg

images.jpeg

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Are you referring to under sand/gravel jets? These are usually run on a separate pump rather than hooked up to a canister filter or sump.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Yes under gravel jet just found the name of it and yes if possible id like to hook it up to my sump return I think it'd help the flow in my tank a lot I could just put a hole just below the water line to break the siphon if a power outage

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store