"Dinosaur Birchir"?

Dale Z

Gambusia
Feb 3, 2014
Waterloo, ON, CAN
Was visiting Buffalo for a couple days from Ontario, and came across a 'dinosaur birchir' for 5 bucks at the local petsmart, this might be normal for you guys down south, but I've never seen one before! Is there a more scientific name to them? I love the prehistoric look!

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Petsmart labels them dinosaur bichirs, but they are more commonly known by hobbyist as polypterus senegalus or "sens"

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Yea just a senegal, its the easiest to get your hands on as well as the albino senegal. All bichirs are cool though IMO some more than others ;)

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
I've got one now at about 3 inches.

tap pole popped his front legs this morning so I moved him in with the turtles brown knife and Dino bichir.
Was in 30 seconds and the sen had him.
I reached in and pulled threm out by hand then the tap pole out of his mouth. The tad pole is fine thankfully but he was gonna be a snack real quick if I didn't catch that and stop it.

The one I had before this one was 3 inches and got to 10 before he died. he would swim righ up to the chichlids and steal rosies right out of their mouths.

I should have known better with the polywog. The bichirs eat everything. that's why he is in with the turtles and brown knife.

And yes the dino bichir is the most common one here in PA sold at the pet stores.

Rich

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store