How long for teugs to color up?

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Hi ive got 5 juvie teugs, they originally were kind of pale whitish and now they are a darkish brown. So my question is when do they start turning red? Heres some photos.

This is before they got browner.

Darker one on the bottom.

And heres now, darker.

You may notice theres not much red lol, but from videos like this, shouldnt they already be reddish?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcKQ8VXjE-I

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Also a more unrelated question, should i make my tank bare bottom and only pvc pipe for decoration? So its easier to keep clean and feed everyone in the tank?

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Not all of them get red as you might want, but as they grow larger they may turn a bit redder however it may also not. As for your other question it is completely up to you. Some prefer bare bottom as it's easier to clean and other prefer substrate. IMO bichirs look better with substrate so I would say stay with substrate. As for PVC pipes again it's up to you, but I can say they wouldn't like a few hiding places wether they're PVC or wood or even plastic as long as they feel secure

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
I was thinking bare bottom so its easier to feed everyone, such as my retropinnis, synodontis, pleco, and peacock eels. But it may also do the opposite and make them more scared, do you think i should at least lower the sand level for the eels?

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
If anything I'd keep it at what it's at as long as everything is working out for you. I would think that a deeper sand bed would be better than a thin sand bed at least for the eels. IMO if everything is working ok and doing fine as is I wouldn't change it.

Ninjouzata

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Georgia, USA
Be patient Saw :) I think what you're doing is fine since it has been working for you.

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Alright, haha im just trying to do whats best for them :D

RLHam3

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2008
Georgia
Wait till the hormones of puberty, after the bichir gets a few inches larger. Feed it high quality and varied diet. (Lots of krill and bloodworm for red coloration)

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
The main thing in their diet is about 3-6 cube of bloodworms a day, then a high quality pellet food by hikari and new spectrum, and then they also get prawns, squid and mussels. Some earthworms were given a while back as well, but they are some what of a pain to get down in florida lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store