Is it that hard to find this tank?

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
If you read my last posts, you will see that I had to get rid of my old tank after there was a likely chance it got infected with tuberculosis, which doesn't go away after medicating or even nuking and thoroughly rinsing as any other disease would. Well I emptied everything, dumped the tank and I'm getting it taken care of on garbage day, which leaves me to find a new tank, preferably same dimensions, to replace it (I'm still keeping the stand.) The tank I had was a 38gal to be precise, approx. 36.6"x12.5", the height being irrelevant. I went to three petstores today, one Petco, one Petsmart, and a mom and pop type of pet store that takes better care of their fish. All of the stores either didn't have the tank size I could have for my stand at home, or only allowed me to buy the tank with their own stand, which adds on an unnecessary $150-200. Not too surprised, I went home and looked online, and seriously, after looking through petco.com, petsmart.com, amazon, and just google in general, nobody sells a tank around 40 gallons with the dimensions. I found one after a huge amount of digging, but it was one of those fluval tanks without a lid which would obviously not be suitable to a blood parrot or any cichlid for that matter. I am really really irritated by this. At Petsmart I found a package non-stand deal but that tank was 37 gallons, which means I would be downgrading 1 gallon just because the stores don't want you to be let off without spending at least a couple hundred bucks. Absolutely ridiculous. Chances are I'm gonna head out and buy the 37 gal package deal tomorrow, before someone else does. Really really disappointed.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
First of all I find it hard to believe that there is a pathogen that is impervious to any kind of cleaning chemicals or even good old boiling water.Second,you are in New York and there are plenty of good pet shops that should have that size tank if the current one is inoperable...I didn't read the other thread you mentioned but I'm going to check it out.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Quick search says along with your old dimensions aga and marineland make 30g which are similar but shorter height and marineland makes a 40 high. Did you ask any of them to see they could order you one? I know stands and other things can add up quick especially if the dimensions arent real common.

fibbingbear

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2013
SoCal
Have you tried Craigslist? You might find a bigger or nicer setup for what you are going to spend on just a tank. Give it a try

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
Quick search says along with your old dimensions aga and marineland make 30g which are similar but shorter height and marineland makes a 40 high. Did you ask any of them to see they could order you one? I know stands and other things can add up quick especially if the dimensions arent real common.
I checked the link, the 40 was for a light I believe. I also want to tank to be exactly the space that it can hold. The bigger the better.

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
I might head down to one more Petco. If they don't have it I guess I'll downgrade 1 gallon and go with the 37 gallon. Meh

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
First of all I find it hard to believe that there is a pathogen that is impervious to any kind of cleaning chemicals or even good old boiling water.Second,you are in New York and there are plenty of good pet shops that should have that size tank if the current one is inoperable...I didn't read the other thread you mentioned but I'm going to check it out.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1769777/

Well it does seem that this specific pathogen is very resistant to temperature changes and also bleach. Why dont you just wait till petco has a dollar a gallon sale? And if anything you can easily build a stand having a local home improvement store cut 10 dollars worth of wood for you so all you do is screw 2x4's together.

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1769777/

Well it does seem that this specific pathogen is very resistant to temperature changes and also bleach. Why dont you just wait till petco has a dollar a gallon sale? And if anything you can easily build a stand having a local home improvement store cut 10 dollars worth of wood for you so all you do is screw 2x4's together.
But the issue is that Petco doesn't sell the tank I want without requiring you to buy the stand with it. It's very frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store