Algae control

Jacolby

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2013
Louisiana
What type of things can I do to control algae in my tank? I keep my lights on just at night, but there is some algae growth on the artificial plants.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
You can reduce lighting time more, reduce intensity of light, increase flow, add co2, reduce nutrients through water changes, add uv sterilizer or add creatures that eat algae depending on the kind and severity of algae

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I had the same issue with the artificial plants and wood. I would remove all and scrub them but it would come back in a couple of weeks. After removing the wood it hasn't come back (been a few months now) im looking into a gold nugget or bristle nose pleco in the next tank

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
gold nugget is not an effective solution to algae problems.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Yeah the more im reading about gold nuggets the less I think it will work.
Thinking green phantom now

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
I swear by zebra nerite snails. About one per 15 gallons and your glass will be clean. They are hardy and fantastic. Alternatively, my local stores didn't have any when I lost a few so I had to try out the black cone snails. They work really well as well, but are nocturnal so you don't see them out and about as much. Both are tremendously efficient at keeping my glass clean.

Avoid plecos. They are a trash tier algae cleaner, preferring to suck on driftwood than glass. They also like to suck on slime coats and therefore aren't suitable in every tank (even those big enough to house the particular species)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store