Stand or not to stand

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
So I got a great deal on a 180G tank, to move my dovii into when they get a bit bigger ( only 2" Max at moment). So I got time to play with it and get it how I want it.

The wife doesn't want a stand she likes it sat on the floor with some decorative rug etc but is there any down falls except emptying it having it on the floor?? It is sat on polystyrene so it helps with levelling it out.

I'm going to be using 2x 2000ltr external Canisters and two sponge filters so no worries on the filtration, just looking for any bad points of having it on the floor

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1407578389687.jpg

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It won't be as easy to view the fish when looking at it from above angles all the time.A few years ago I had to sit one of my tanks on the floor until I built my double tank stand and I couldn't stand it lol.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I find cichlids tend to be a bit skittish when kept on, or near the floor, it may be because birds are their main predator. Mine tend to rush for covers when shadows loom from above.

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
Well I just found out I have 1/2" difference on the floor so may need to build a small stand just to take this out even if I use blocks.

Years ago I had a 36" cube tank I breed angels in and that was made of 3/4" glass I had that on a pallet on the floor with a 404 and it work OK for years but it was in the fish room at the time so not much movement in and out, may have a rethink.

This is why I'm glad I brought it so early lol apart from the good price I got time to mess with it a bit

Thanks for the info guys

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Is there any other area of the room you can place the tank? I'm guessing your wife just doesn't want to block the window.

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
There isn't but I think I got a plan now. I'm gonna build a small stand to get it up at least 6-10" off the ground this will help me with the level issue because ill be able to lift the stand rather than the tank

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That sounds interesting...kind of like those little wooden platforms that some people sit large flower pots on.

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
thanks for all the advice today, i got it all level using some greenhouse twin wall polycarbonate i had lying around, i put this under the polystyrene so no issues with it not being supported. still not sure if ill change it all and put a stand under it.

the main reason for no stand, is its the quite room lol (no such thing with kids) but its where the wife goes to read and so not a lot of movement in there. not only that but she has this image of it looking like its sat on a rug.

still after 14 years of marriage i still can't work out how she thinks sometimes, but on the flip side i get my big tank (that she actually brought) so im happy if she is and as long i can make it work. Anything for a quite life.

and if you think its bad how she wants the tank sat you should hear some of the ideas for the inside but ill leave that for another thread.

thanks again and ill update as i play around.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Two serious issues come to mind for a tank on the floor. One is the potential for damage. Being low there may well be a better chance of getting kicked or bumped into with something like a vaccuum cleaner and such.

Another is thinking of it as a large bathtub that is always full if the children are small. I am not sure that most covers will be secure with even small kids. These two things may still apply even with the short stand you plan?

Maintaining will be a bit more of a chore. I have a QT on the lower shelf of a stand and have to get down on my knees to attend to it.

There is a reason that almost everyone has a tank on an elevated stand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store