Saulosi - my favourite Malawi species...

Abyss

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2008
UK
Have to say, Saulosi are definitely my favourite species.

You've go stunning bright yellow females, and lovely deep blue and black males, with a little bit more colour on the fins.

Add to that, they stay small as a dwarf mbuna, and their temperament is relatively peaceful with other mbuna and even their own kind.

I have 16 of these little beasts in my 400L tank. 3 of which have turned blue.

Here's my dominant male. Not the best pic, but I like he is in full finnage and 2 of his females that are holding fry, are also in the pic. He's a busy fella.

And here's a video of the tank;

[video=youtube;0DN6ztN7u5I]http://youtu.be/0DN6ztN7u5I?list=UURAGyEAMb0210Xw28B1gpDg[/video]

Abyss

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2008
UK
Good pic that Oddball, the change is fascinating to see...you wouldn't think something like that was possible. Shame you had to part with them Timbo, they look like great fish.

I tend to notice quite a bit of variation in Saulosi when I see pics and videos...is that just a sign of quality or are there a few variations?

timbo6684

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2013
Surface of the Sun, Arizona
Good pic that Oddball, the change is fascinating to see...you wouldn't think something like that was possible. Shame you had to part with them Timbo, they look like great fish.

I tend to notice quite a bit of variation in Saulosi when I see pics and videos...is that just a sign of quality or are there a few variations?
Just a sign of quality, there's only one p. Saulosi. They are on the c.a.r.e.s. endangered list and aren't supposed to be exported from Africa anymore. I assume many breeders are just making due with what they have available. Also the ''coral red'' Saulosi is a man made hybrid so don't let that confuse you that there may be other variants.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Abyss

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2008
UK
Thanks mate, I have 16x of the Saulosi. But 3x of them were bought from a local shop and are indeed coral red. 9/10 shops here only stock the coral red saulosi. The natural ones seem much rarer in the retail trade. Thankfully, there does seem to be a decent amount of breeders around selling the normal saulosi. I remember seeing a video a while back where tank bred Saulosi were being released back into the lake to try and replenish supplies, hopefully it will work.

As an interesting side note, my Coral Red Saulosi seem to have no interaction with my regular Saulosi...instead, my coral red saulosi breed with my single male Greshekai. Just thought that was kind of interesting.

edit: Here's that vid mentioned above; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_s9nu2ncrg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store