New HOB fails to please yet again

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
Unbelievable. I'm starting up my new 40, which I bought as a package deal by them, it came with a 40 gallon aqueon filter, a heater, food and dechlorinator. I filled the tank up, put some nice freshwater sand in it, assembled the filter correctly for the 5th time (5 filters of the exact same model broke on me) and it flowed for about 30 seconds, then killed itself. It's not even making a humming noise. It's just dead.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1407607144.245066.jpg

And yes it's plugged in

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
Nevermind guys, I tried filling it with water and that didn't work either, so I disassembled everything and it turns out you can actually get into the propeller if you remove the bottom half piece a bit above the rod portion. The propeller was stuck due to sand residue so I cleared it out and its running again. Until more sand fills it, of course.

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
Yeah sand can get in, and mess things up.. I would recommend you put in a aquarium prefilter sponge to protect the filter and make sure when you are messing with sand in the tank, or stirring it up, that you turn the filter off; then turn it back on when the sand settles completely.

Anyway, nice tank pick up! I see you are getting ready to cycle and add some BRPs.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Sand will be the death of an HOB filter. It took about 1 year of running my marineland penguin 350 on a 55g with play sand until I wore the impeller down and got a permanent rattle.

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
Yeah sand can get in, and mess things up.. I would recommend you put in a aquarium prefilter sponge to protect the filter and make sure when you are messing with sand in the tank, or stirring it up, that you turn the filter off; then turn it back on when the sand settles completely.

Anyway, nice tank pick up! I see you are getting ready to cycle and add some BRPs.
You got it!

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
I ruined two aquaclear 110's that were on my 100 gallon, hate sand and will never use it again. I like natural small pebble gravel and so do my aquaclears.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
So bloodlucky,it turns out that you ruined four filters because of the sand in your tank?

Jhawk974

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2014
Utah
Let the sand settle before you turn on the filter.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
i understand its working now but i would think after 4 defective ones youd learn your lesson.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Aqueon is a great company that has been more than generous to MFK and it's members. They sponsored the Konvention and gave away great stuff for raffles.

I am sad to see how their name is tarnished by an inflammatory thread title

Kudos to you for admitting your mistake, though. That takes guts!

HarleyK

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store