Geophagus proximus?

Unattended Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2010
near but far
Got these guys a couple months back labeled as geo proximus. Looks like to me but, just want your guys opinion. Since I don't got the encyclopedia yet....

Sent from my SM-G900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1407608754223.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1407608822187.jpg

baseballman1321

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2010
usa
looks like it to me because of the large spot on their side and the orange lateral lines. But I am no expert lol.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
They are G. proximus. The large midlateral spot, tall profile, striped caudal and pre opercular mark combination screams proximus. Nice pickup! Where did you manage that?

Unattended Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2010
near but far
They are G. proximus. The large midlateral spot, tall profile, striped caudal and pre opercular mark combination screams proximus. Nice pickup! Where did you manage that?
Got them from importer that I deal with a lot and he asked me if I was interested so, I jumped at it. Glad that I did their color is starting to pop.

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
Ill have to look at them once I lay down in bed............:)

Great looking fish.

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Geophagus surinamensis is a catch-all name given to most geos by LFS. They are often not G. surinamensis at all. The actual fish are rare in the hobby because there are very few exports out of the area where they're caught.

There are two glaring differences between G. proximus and G. surinamensis: the midlateral spot and the preopercular mark. G. proximus has a preopercular mark and a giant midlateral spot, while G. surinamensis lacks a preopercular mark and has a (relatively) smaller midlateral spot.

Most of the fish sold as G. surinamensis end up being G. altifrons or G. abalios, or some variant that is similar. These fish in most cases also lack a preopercular mark, separating them from the G. proximus in this thread.

Nearly all the fish at this link are not G. surinamensis, which is proof that they are often mislabeled. Remember, just because something exists on Google doesn't make it true. If a person uploads a mislabeled picture, it will show up when you search it.

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
I just posted the google images assuming what you said, they were all different lol.

On the rest of what you said, thanks for the info, something to think about and good to know.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store