Cycling my new tank

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
Just finished up setting my freshwater 40 gal, and I'm trying to cycle it as fast and efficiently as I can. I'll be buying Tetra SafeStart and I was recommended by a few people on here to buy some starter fish. The problem is I'm planning on buying only one blood parrot to live its entire life in the tank by himself, so if I get any minnows or danios he'll just shred them overtime. Feeder minnows I don't mind if he chomps on them, but the risk of disease transmission is too high for me to allow. Danios shouldn't really be sharing the same conditions as the required ones of the blood parrot, and I'd hate to stand and watch tropical fish become food to tropical fish. So I'm thinking about cycling fishlessly.

They say using all the external factors like the SafeStart, the tank should be ready in a week if I add an ammonia source to the tank during it. I'm unfamiliar with cycling fishlessly, though, and I don't really know how much fish food I should be adding each day. I have an ammonia testing kit though so I can just sort of do trial and error throughout the days. Just any advice or input on my plan would really help. Thanks

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I think most of your questions are answered on the other thread you started safestart is great but the direction on the bottle are sparse check your other thread

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
What do you mean hate to see tropicals shred tropicals? How would tropicals shredding coolwaters be any better? They're all fish. Unless you mean cost wise, that I can understand.

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
What do you mean hate to see tropicals shred tropicals? How would tropicals shredding coolwaters be any better? They're all fish. Unless you mean cost wise, that I can understand.
That's also what I mean. But those feeder minnows are bred for a purpose. To be food. Danios are not. Regardless I solved my problem

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store